dual sporting the kdx?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

dual sporting the kdx?

Post by 2001kdx »

would it be a bad idea to street-legalize my kdx for back roads and trail connecting? maybe like 35 mile round trips? Im not sure how much a light kit would cost me, but would it be worth it? to gear 14or15/47 would be better?
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I think it would be fun. You could do secondary roads betwixt trails and not have to worry about getting nailed w/ a ticket. I had a KTM 200 EXC and had those very intentions. I bought all the uk spec KTM oem parts (they are road legal over the big pond) to do it, but got hanging w/ some guys w/ bonafide street bikes, and wanted to run w/ them a spell, and sold the bike and the parts. The only catches would be, depending on your state, it can be difficult to get a street legal title. It's a bit easier w/ a KTM because the mso's aren't marked as "off road only". That can be a hard point to get around at your local dmv. And if you wanted to go further (and back) than a tankful would allow, you'd have to carry premix w/ you and put it in w/ the fuel at the gas station. Some guys get squeeze bottles and carried pre-measured amounts, and squeezed the oil into the gas as they are pumping it in the bike, so it's well mixed. Check out Trick Dual Sport for the parts you need.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Mine's street legal. In fact I ride it on the roads almost every day (except for the last few, stupid work). The light kit was already installed and to make it legal it was a 5 minute talk with the MVD reps and she gave me plate and tags. Here it goes:

Do you have a headlight? yes
Do you have a brakelight? yes
Do you have mirrors? yes
Do you have a horn? yes
Well thank you sir, your registration is complete. :partyman:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

In AZ...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The point is (I think) that all states differ, so depending on YOUR state, maybe it's worth it, maybe not.

Used to be in Oreegone the DMV would inspect the bike (verify VIN#) before licensing it. That inspection included DOT tires. Not any more. Don't know why that changed, but it did. Good thing for the VIN, too. Mine is under my WER clamp.

Natch, if you got stopped, no DOT tires could be a problem. I know a local rider that's stopped on a regular basis (they don't like the location of his license plate) and he hasn't been checked once for DOT tires.

Who can know it?

Considering insurance costs, legalization costs, and how picky your registrar is, it may well not be a cheap conversion.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

The biggest obstacle is getting it titled. In NY the Cert. of Origin must have an ODOMETER READING. I was lucky enough to get my 220 Titled
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr