Headlight Bulb

Got questions? We got answers....
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Headlight Bulb

Post by stringburner »

After I did a search and found out i'm not the only one who's turned their headlight mask upside to hear the sound of the bulb hitting concrete. :mrgreen: I saw a thread about replacement halogen bulbs, but the topic was left unresolved. :?
Last edited by stringburner on 09:39 pm Nov 28 2006, edited 1 time in total.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Who on EARTH would EVER do such a thing!!! :wink:

You have the OEM shell? That blub fits in there pretty dang tight. Don't see why it would be falling out.

There are other bulbs to choose from..just not the 35Watter (if I recall). THAT is likely going to have to come from Ma Kaw. It's not cheap!!

I use halogen all the time...in an Acerbis shell. They work OK. A lot of them leak pretty quick..I can see little fishies swimming behind the glass!!

Well..maybe it's just floating crud.........

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Ayuh, stock mask/lens, and it tain't snug at'all. Durn thing falls right out once ya get it upside down. I'll go to Advance and try and find a bulb w/ the same base. If it's at least that wattage or higher it oughta be fine and dandy. My steering stem bearings actually had grease on them. I didn't have to dig through grease to find the bearings, but they looked greased nonetheless.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Or maybe it's in your eyes CC! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well, there IS that............

Re: high or higher.

With 35 up front and 10W in the tail, your maxed out on the OEM coil.

If you put anything bigger than a 35W in the headlight, you will be disappointed if you run the tail.

Consider the source

Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

I had the exact same thing happen to me. My brother found me a headlight bulb out of a (I believe 97 polaris explorer) that fits right in, is 35 watts and is a halogen. it works much better. I posted this on another sigt a couple years ago but no one seemed interested. I havent even changed out the rear bulb for an led yet. Ill try to find the part number to confirm the application.
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

OK it was in this forum. It is a polaris bulb p#4030055 list price was 14.99. give it a try, I think you will like it. fits perfect. plugs right in.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I recall a John Deere product using the same bulb, too.

Lawn tractor, quad or sled, I don't know............

Point is, they're out there.

BTW...the OEM bulb has two elements in it. Although this won't work after you've dropped it on the floor..if the filament is just out...solder a bit of wire between the contacts on the bottom of the blub...use the OTHER filament for awhile.

Consider the source

stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Thanks fellers. Matt, a halogen for less cash is a no brainer. Thanks for taking the time to hunt up that part number. I don't know why they dont just put some sort of standard bulb in it so it's not such a hassle when you have a brain cramp and dump the stupid bulb on the floor. I betcha you could finagle a way to make a different (easier to procure and less expensive) bulb into the stock lens and splice the cooresponding connector into the factory headlight wiring harness...it would still have to be a 35w bulb from what canyon carver is saying though. Worth investigating nonetheless.
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

My dealer has a bunch of these aftermarket for about $5. He ordered one for me and ended up with a dozen. I will get you one and send it if you want, and if he still has some.
He was a little bummed when he ended up with that many. there isn't a big demand.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I stopped at one of the local shops today and took the bulb, or what was left of it, w/ me. I asked if they had anything like it, and they had regular bulbs, and halogen versions. The regular one was 3.95, and the halogen was 7.95. Mine was a 30W/30W, as were the ones he had. I'll post the brand and part number tomorrow. Problem solved I reckon. :grin: Oh yeah, I went w/ the halogen.
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I forgot about this for a few days. I meant to post the bulb i.d. of the one i found for relatively cheap, especially compared to what i saw other people have to pay, and kawasaki's price. The bulb is a Candlepower C.P.I. HM 201 12V 30/30W. The sku number is 1511120100. Any bike shop, or most, should be able to get it I would think. They didn't even blink when I showed them my base, so it must be fairly common, and it was only 8 bucks (halogen version).

* Edited heading so it would turn up in searches for "headlight bulb".*