Me gots some Q's...

Got questions? We got answers....
thebleakness

Me gots some Q's...

Post by thebleakness »

My 220 needs some serious tinkering. I bought this bike in late September and havent done much taking care of mainly due to going to school and working the rest of the day. The days when I am off and have time to inspect are perfect and I head out for some riding. Vicious cycle eh? :butthead:

Well I have some questions. These will keep coming as I continue working on the KDX but right now I have a few.

I have noticed that alot of spooge builds up on the muffler right below the exhaust port on the engine. I dont have any spooge coming out of the silencer at all. I also noticed that some smoke came out around the header where it goes into the port when my friend started it up the other day. This should be happening should it? :neutral:

Part of that problem I am guessing is due to bad jetting due to the colder weather we are dealing with right now. The airscrew is turned out 3.5 turns to get a nice idle, this meaning I need a smaller pilot jet, correct? I have to check to see what is in it right now because I have no idea.

What sparkplugs work best in the 220s? I would like to get some idea what is a good one before I walk into the shop totally clueless. :rolleyes:

I probably left out quite abit of neccesary information but ask away and I will try to answer.

Thank you! :partyman:
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

3 1/2 turns out on the AS is just too much. That indicates a way too rich pilot jet/circuit. Stock was a 45. If your going to pull the carb apart you might as well see what the main jet and needle jet are. Check the float level too. Clean the snot out of it and all the ports. Spooge around the cylinder could be bad O-rings or missing O-rings. Pull the pipe and check. Spark plug is a BR8ES but some like myself only use the fine wire BR8EG. If it has an aftermarket silencer it might need a re-pack.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Smoke and spoo out of the cylinder....

Pull pipe, check for O-rings, replace if not there.... Get some RTV and goo up the pipe seat in the cylinder and go around the O-rings so that the pipe will get a good seal... mount pipe and let it set up.

BR8ES until you are sure you have it jetted correctly. But Brad is right.... pull your current jetting and tell us what you have.

If you do not have a manual... use the link at the top right and get a 1 year membership to the Online manual... it's like $15.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I am at 7000ft elevation. See? I left out something important. :p

I vaugely remembering hearing that the previous owner had put in 178 main, 38 slow and I dont know about the jet. Could these be correct? I have no experience jetting and Inda's guide was a basis.

Are those O-rings ones that are available at any auto parts store or are they something I have to get specialty? I havent checked to see if that's that problem but I am assuming so because there is ALOT of built up spooge.

I will find the jetting out tomorrow when I get back from school. And now if you will excuse me...I have to go to work. :prayer:
grump99

Post by grump99 »

178 does not sound right at all. More likely 148 or 158. The only way to find out is to pull the jets. Good luck. :mrgreen:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Brad - "Spark plug is a BR8ES but some like myself only use the fine wire BR8EG"

What's the advantage?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Advantage of a fine wire is the spark jumps off the center easier insuring a very consistent spark under the worst spark conditions. Sharp edges are good for electrons to jump off, sorta like a great back yard trampoline, a trampoline where you jump up but don't ever land back on. Jeez, I would like to put my neighbors kid on THAT trampoline!

178 main on a 220! That is funny right there! And at 7000'! Please pull those jets and let us know.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'What's the advantage..'

NGK makes more money!!

AND...it's much easier to tweak the center electrode when you're gapping it!

Seriously, the EG is an excellent choice. You CAN feel the difference. Gap it a bit wide (about .030") and it will work real good. I use 'em. They're GggrrRReat!!

Re: Spoo and smoke at the cylinder.

Your pipe is bent.

Do some practice fitting. Place it in the cylinder where it wants to go...observe from the o-rings and the first collar weld that it's sitting square in the cylinder. Don't force the hangers on..just hold it in with the springs.

Test fit the silencer. Does it line up good? Do you have to move the pipe stinger much to get the silencer to fit? If the latter, it's bent.

You can have considerable fun (read..take a lot of time) with a couple of bars inside the two ends of the pipe, using them as levers to bend the pipe back into shape. It doesn't take but a little tweak to make a big difference. It's fun figuring the angles needed for force applied to get the intended result.

That is an outright lie, and if you tackle it, you will find that out. I hate doing it myself..but I'm sure you will enjoy it. :sad:

When you're done, the silencer should simply slip into place AND have its mounting holes lined up with the frame. The pipe hangers should fit without forcing anything, the front/lower one should have the bolt to the frame accessible with a socket. The stud should line up well. The welded collar should be equally distant from the cylinder.

Put it (it's clean, right?) back together with a good dose of hi temp (black) RTV at the cylinder and the pipe/SA joint.

A leaking 2-stroke exhaust sucks power!!! Fix'r up!

...when did Flagstaff reach 7k'? Really?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Flagstaff is 7k and should stay so unless that volcano erupts... :twisted: Downtown is actually abit lower and the 7k foot elevation sign is about 1 mile from my house. Most of my riding is done on the San Francisco Peaks so its abit more, probably 8,000 and above.

I had been wondering how much power that leak was sucking away. I cant remember if it was doing that when I first bought it because everything was immaculate. I just noticed this a few days ago because there hasnt been the normal mud I washed off after every ride and took that splooge with it.

So that jetting doesnt sound correct? Those are the numbers that come to mind, I could be wrong. I shall find out tomorrow. :?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well...isn't this my day.

I've goobered every post I've made over the past 24 hours.

I quit!!!

I thought Flagstaff was closer to 4k. Didn't look it up. Just remember sitting in the woods out of town with a couple of buddies..drinking WAY to much...thinking...'We must be about 4000'!'

Made sense at the time.......

Not only does the jet number (178) sound incorrect, but impossible. I don't think the bike would run at all jetted like that. The jets for the PWK (the OEM one) go up to 180..but NOone ever uses such jetting.

Not even in Death Valley!

WHICH, as I recall from when I was drinking with my buddies THERE is slightly LOWER in elevation than Flagstaff Azirona!

Hhhmmmm....is there a commonality there............:hmm:

Consider the source

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Also, NEW PIPE RETENTION SPRINGS
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Hehe, if Flag was at 4k we wouldnt be the High Altitude Training Center for Olympians. We would just be....another training center. ;)

I couldnt check anything today, I didnt have any time. Hopefully tomorrow.

On a side note, I got my SG10s today! :partyman: I already love em, now I just have to scuff them up abit. :cool:
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Alright, I finally have a day of time to mess with the KDX. First thing I did was remove the pipe because I noticed just how freaking much splooge there was on everything in the area. First thing I noticed was that there are no O-rings and nothing left of old ones if there ever were old ones. Anybody know what size they are or should I just take the pipe into a shop and get some that fit best?

I havent touched the jetting yet because the pipe problem seemed to be worse, after I clean up the exhaust area its my next task.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Get what fits.

You could do without 'em altogether. The RTV you use on re-assy makes o-rings pretty much moot.

Moot: Unarguable, doesn't matter, of no consequence in the case-at-hand.

Consider the source

stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote: First thing I noticed was that there are no O-rings and nothing left of old ones if there ever were old ones. Anybody know what size they are or should I just take the pipe into a shop and get some that fit best?
You can always look it up and see what parts are missing and what you need:

http://www.temeculamotorsports.com/fich ... detail.asp
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

There's also sposed to be a copper washer up in there that frequently falls out unnoticed when you pull the pipe.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Now THAT you want to make sure stays in there, or get placed BACK in there.

Heck..use two of 'em!

Who knows...your bike might even run better!! :rolleyes:

Consider the source

thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

The copper crush ring I think its called, correct? Well that wasnt in there either. A friend of mine who works at Gore got me some o-rings that i messed with for alittle while to try to make fit. Im just so tired of shaving those damn things down and they still fit like crap. Ill go on a hunt tomorrow.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I cant remove needle at all. What is the best way to remove it?

EDIT: I removed it. Its a R1173L on the 3rd clip, 145 main, 38 slow jet. What should I go out and buy today to mess with? 7000ft elevation, 30-50 degrees.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I spent the better part of today messing around with the exhaust and SUCCESS! I finally found out what this bungie cord was doing around on of the exhaust brackets (the upper bracket by the tank) and it was because the tank was tweaked. It seems as if one of the previous owners wrecked and knocked it all of alignment. I found some fitting o-rings and assembled the bike again. WOW, sound much different, more beast like. It definatly wasnt like this when I bought it, it also feels as if it has more power but then again it could jet be in my head... :rolleyes:

Now if I could get some help with the jetting. What should I go out and buy? I was reading and it seems as if a CEL is a good choice? Thanks a bunch! :supz: