Paintin

Got questions? We got answers....
motorhed220

Paintin

Post by motorhed220 »

K guys...ive got some hairbraied idea that..if i want Black plastics...i can paint em myself...whats the best stuff to use...if i used a prtective cover would that work...??? how many coats would i need? I plant to do it a custom way (Not entirly flat) so ill hook up some pics...anywho any advice on paintin you bike i needed...THANX!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I've read of heaps of people doing it and NONE sucessfully. Paint, plastic and punishment don't mix well.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
grump99

Post by grump99 »

I would agree with KDXer, you would probably be better off buying black plastics. Painting plastic is not fun and has never turned out well for me. I would wonder what would happen if gas spilled on the paint (might get gooey). You could probably sell your old plastic to re-coop some of the money.
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I seem to remember people dying there plastics. I know nothing about it but it might be something you could look into.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
luke347

Post by luke347 »

I play lacrosse and lots of us dye our lacrosse heads, seeing as plastic compositions arent to different I would say dying is very possible, We use RIT dye it works the best and yes its the most expensive stuff but a box of its only $2.70 so its not worth buying the imitation stuff most art shops sell it. I say go ahead and try it the only bad thing that could happen is that the plastics come out purple instead of black :shock: if you want to find out more about it google rit dye
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

A few people have RIT'd their plastics and YES they come out purple and fade over time.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Post by Kawinj »

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote:A few people have RIT'd their plastics and YES they come out purple and fade over time.
I prefer to call it "eggplant" :rolleyes:

I used to have the white ufo fork guards on my old setup and used the PJ1
Kawasaki green from the dealership, it held up well for a long time.

If you're determined to change the color, go to PJ1's website and get the right stuff in black. Just don't put too high of expectations on it, and as mentioned if you spill gas on it and don't wipe it off fast you're SOL.