Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Re:'How'd you guys start...'
Thanks for the details
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:He sends the CEK to blow your mind! :lol:

It did mine... I thought I was back on the KTM 250!
Lots and lots of fun but will flat wear you out.

Then someone sent me a DEK, It is a much tamer hit and works extremely well in the woods... the right needle I might add.

I drop the CEK in on occasion for the addreline rush! :mrgreen:
WOW!! Hits like a 250, eh? I test rode some newer-model 250s this past summer and all of them were beyond impressive in the power department (the one that most starkly comes to mind was a brief encounter with an '03 250sx, straight from the pits of Hades).

I'm wondering what an RB'd 220 with a gnarly rev will do (and some 607s)

After I tool with the jetting, I'm gonna work on the suspension. 'Got Mr. Wibbens 0.40 springs coming for starters. I think I'll go ahead and install some power reeds as well. Top it off with a good rear tire for max hookup. It'll be cold enough come Jan/Feb, so that's probably gonna be when I go for the RB work.

I'm REALLY looking forward to it.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

You guys picked my curiosity now. I wasn't too keene on having to mess with something else in the carb (still working on the pilot/main situation) but after reading this thread it ALL make sense.
Would a DEK or CEK make a huge improvement with stock carb/reeds? or is it not worth it with my setup?
Only mod I have on my 200 is no air box lid with gnarly wood.
Thanks

Wilf
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CEL works best in a stock carb. This is due to the carb slide cut being a 5 instead of the 7 that Ron cuts it too.

On the 220, make sure you get the head work too... and do run the FMF Desert (REV) and not the Woods pipe. It can handle it rightously after Ron does his duty. And Yeah on the 607's! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:
On the 220, make sure you get the head work too... and do run the FMF Desert (REV) and not the Woods pipe. It can handle it rightously after Ron does his duty. And Yeah on the 607's! :wink:
Oh yeah, got the rev pipe already, it's the 607s that are coming next (how much gain should I see?).

And I'm gonna do the whole shootin' match with RB.

I haven't had this much fun with bikes in a long time :supz:

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Uh... careful with that throttle Eugene.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Would a DEK or CEK make a huge improvement '

I guess 'huge' is in the eye of the beerholder, too.

Big? Yes. But with the stock slide, make that an 'L'..not a 'K'.

As far as the woods pipe and the 200...I used to switch back and forth..when I ran in the woods or the more open type terrain.

It's a sum of parts...but I run the -30 now on my 200, and have every bit of spit of the bottom that you could ask for..AND fun on top! (no smart remarks, please). What made the difference is an RB'd carb and the DFII reed block. The DF3 is a 'huge' improvement over that.

I used to ride with a 250 rider on a regular basis..although 'only' a CRF-X. They'll sneak up on you. No big 2T hit, but it moves!! He's a much better rider than am I, so in the woods he can leave me..could on a mini bike I think. He's poetry in motion. But...in the open when skill is less an issue, we're neck-n-neck.

Well..he's only been riding since he was sumthin' like 5 yrs. old!! Used to get set on top of a Montessa..start it...ride 'til he quit. No way he was even CLOSE to the ground. Well...maybe it was a Bultaco. Some kind'a foreign monster.

Don't overlook the SSS with the RB'd carb. The 220 has it, although it might be harder to find than on the 200.

Not this much fun??

You have no idea what's in store foy you.

The KDX is an excellent woods bike. Tuned well, it can run with about anything. In the woods, you're in front!

Dang! What a great bike!!

Oh...regarding suspension. Not much bling..but a good suspension will make you a MUCH better rider..faster, smoother, more confident, =

MORE FUN!!!

Re: 'Wasn't too keen..'

Get 'r done. What you learn in the process will hold you in good stead for this bike and every other bike you ride. The benefit IS huge!! You learn what makes your bike tick in every climate and situation. The result is confidence in your ride, and that makes for a whole lot more fun riding!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

New post to get notifications sent:

I have the .doc version of the JD input on needles in general, RB modified carb in particular. 150+ posts, 61 pages of varying import. It is WELL worth reading through for ANYone interested in learning some about needles.

Anyone that is interested...contact me via email, and I'll send it to you.

This info is lost on DRN. I asked around for it awhile back. FredT was gracious enough to send it my way...he'd SAVED it. Well...I think it was FredT. Could well have been a couple other guys that had the sense to keep it safe.

**edit**

It was G.Gear I got it from. I've been wrong way too many times today. Must be time to GO HOME!!!
**end**

Well...I'd saved it..but a crash of that PC (Backup? What backup?) lost my copy.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 01:30 pm Nov 14 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Its still there stuck in the archives but you've got to really search around to find it. Last time I found it i saved off a copy just like the .doc one you've got.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've looked for it and NOT found it. I saved a link to the archives after the Big DRN Crash of a couple years ago, then it quit working. Other queries about it got the response of 'gone'.

You've looked for it recently?

Some guy said this:

Yep..there are links there...and when you click on some of them you get the same 'page not found' complaint that you get when you look for the thread he is referring to.

Well, THAT link gets you, 'No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster.'

There was a time the thread ID changed after a system upgrade/crash/something or other but it could still be found.

I think it's gone now.

And it was GEARLOOSE! (who sent it to me).

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I just looked and couldn't find it. I swear it was there the last time I looked. Oh well.
Inda should make a sticky with the .doc so it doesn't get lost here...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Send it to me
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

On its way...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ditto.

They may not be the same.

I've seen differnt ones.

Ha! 'It was there last time....'

SURE it was! Uh huh. Yep. SURE thing!

:roll: That's OK m0rie!! I believe you!! Even though EVErYBODY else wonders...I believe!

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The admin account is a black hole.... send it to vince... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I did...vince-at-kdxrider-net

No?

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

m0ries is here:

http://kdxrider.net/media/m0rie.doc

I will put CC's here...

http://kdxrider.net/media/CC.doc

Compare them and see which is more complete and I will post the most complete one.

Also, don't you think this would fair better in the jetting area? :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I figured you'd make a new thread with the correct info and sticky it once we got it all sorted out.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Jetting area would be good! Don't know why I didn't think of this before..but this thread is GREAT on needles. Not just 'this for that' but general stuff.

This from JD I think sums the whole KDX needle problem:
JD wrote:I will go out on a limb and speculate that Kawasaki thought this would be a sweet play bike and need very clean jetting. So they put a lean straight diameter (2.725, or 2.735) , a lean taper (1.25 degrees) , and a lean clip position (L1=39.95) and then came up with 1172N or 1173N. The higher taper start is throwing you guys off track by being lean then rich then lean in an extreme and (to date) unexplained way.
It CAN be explained!! Explanation is, the OEM needle is all screwed up!!

Both posts appear to be the same info.

Gearloose differentiated his with lines, arrows and memos on the back of each one!

There are post numbers that would enable someone making a reference to a spot, too. Well, dates would work too.

I like Gear's better! :wink: The FONT is prettier, too!!

Many more pages..but that's a formatting issue...

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

They appear to be the same but CC's has much nicer formatting. I vote for CC's copy.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E