Which handlebar style is closest to a stock KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
gtoron

Which handlebar style is closest to a stock KDX

Post by gtoron »

OK guys I am taking your advice. I am going to swap out the bars.

Now the question is which is closest to stock or with a slightly higher bend?

Also if I go with the Tusk bars are they 7/8 or larger and what additional mounts and stuff will I need?

Thanks again for all the info you guys are great! :supz: :supz: :supz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've started the proof of this question (looking up specs or measuring myself)..never got it done.

I've been told that the classic CR-Hi is pretty close.

Probably wider by some, but you can cut them down without any problem. Width is the least important spec to worry about.

Don't know about Tusk, but most bar mfgs make both diameters. So..Tusk what?

The KDX pedestals are removeable from the top clamp. So, you can get pedestals for the fat-bar diameter if you like. In that case, a pedestal that is adjustable front-to-back is probably a good idea, so you can fit them to suit you.

At least get an offset pair that you can turn 180º for 'forward' and 'rearward' fit.

You can probably use your OEM bushings with new pedestals. The post diameters of other pedestals I've seen are the same as the KDX OEM posts. I don't know that ALL of them are the same.

Someone here likely has a parts list with everything you need for a particular bar. Maybe that was already posted on an earlier thread?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I have Renthal KX/Bradshaw Bend. From what I remember they were very similar to the Stock KDX & MUCH LIGHTER
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Here's a thought.

IF there is any chance of getting a Scotts for your bike, buy the bars from them WITH the bowed crossbar (if you get a crossbar type bar).

Then you won't have to mess with the fit of the damper under a 'standard' straight crossbar.

Heck...if you need a one piece clamp, get one of THEM from Scotts, too! Same reason...when you get around to buying a damper, you will be money and trouble ahead already!! This would apply to either normal or fat bars.

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

What CC says makes a ton of sense. if you go that route, I have a Scotts onepiece top clamp / damper mount for 7/8" bars I don't need any more. I'd be willing to sell it for a decent price.

I spent a ton of money incrementally doing stuff and then replacing it on my bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

CM: ..but the clamp you're speaking of will NOT work on KX forks? Or it will, but NOT with Cycras? Or, it will work on KX forks WITH Cycras...as long as they are 7/8"?

I'm piecing and parsing some different posts..don't rememmer what whent with what and when it whent there.

Consider the source

gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:I've started the proof of this question (looking up specs or measuring myself)..never got it done.

I've been told that the classic CR-Hi is pretty close.

Probably wider by some, but you can cut them down without any problem. Width is the least important spec to worry about.

Don't know about Tusk, but most bar mfgs make both diameters. So..Tusk what?

The KDX pedestals are removeable from the top clamp. So, you can get pedestals for the fat-bar diameter if you like. In that case, a pedestal that is adjustable front-to-back is probably a good idea, so you can fit them to suit you.

At least get an offset pair that you can turn 180º for 'forward' and 'rearward' fit.

You can probably use your OEM bushings with new pedestals. The post diameters of other pedestals I've seen are the same as the KDX OEM posts. I don't know that ALL of them are the same.

Someone here likely has a parts list with everything you need for a particular bar. Maybe that was already posted on an earlier thread?
Ok so is everybody in agreement CR Hi is pretty close to stock KDX?
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

No way is the CR High bend close to the stockers. I would look at the RM low bend before I made a decision. I went with the CR high's and flipped the bar mounts around 180* to make a change to give me more cockpit room.
FAZ
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

My extra one piece bar clamp works with the stock KDX upper triple clamp, and 7/8" bars.

The problem I ran into with the Cycra bar guards mounting to the TT is that the '03 stock upper TT has the pinch bolts coming in from the back of the bike, and Cycra doesn't have anything that can handle it, since not many people do that. Even Kawy doesn't do it on other years (or at least earlier years). Since I also needed a new bar clamp to mount my Scotts after the KX fork swap, and I really wanted the spiffy fat bars, I added up all the parts and it came out smarter to buy the Scotts upper TT for a KX. The one I got takes Fat bars and came with the upper bar clamp. Scotts puts the pinch bolts in the "right" way for the Cycra TT mounts to work.

In the end, going to the fat bars and the Cycra bar guards cost me more than double what my fork conversion cost. So that kind of illustrates what a great bang for the buck the fork conversion by itself is. The other crap is just nice to have, but nowhere near the performance improvement that the forks offer.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Measure your stock KDX bars and tell us whick is closer...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well, yeah. That's obvious.

The problem is measuring the OEM bars.

....the bentup goobered OEM bars.

Consider the source

gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Thanks for the info guys.
I did find on Rockymountainatv.com that they have a handlebar size charts.

I was informative and shows all the different heights and bends.

I will measure and compare to stock and report my findings.

The interesting thing is there is not that big a difference between many on the different bends/styles.