What Forks To Convert To?

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

What Forks To Convert To?

Post by jafo »

I'm running trying to get money together to buy a KDX220 and have heard about switching to KX forks because they are inverted forks and are better than the stock KDX forks. My question is what forks am I looking for to convert to?
By the way they would be going on to an '04 model KDX.
Jon.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

As new a model KX forks as possible. They were incrementally improved each year.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It basically depends on what you want and can afford. Just about all KX forks have been used and the procedure is the same for all. I wanted newer ones for the fact that they were never used much. Ski has 96's mine are 03's and CC just picked up 99's. What do you want?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I guess what I'm looking for is what KX model do I need to get them from? There are several sets on E-Bay and thought I'd pick up a pair, just need to know what size KX to go for. I found a set off a KX 250 alittle sheaper than the KX 125 forks. Does the bike size matter? 125, 250 or are they the same forks?

I read a few threads on you guys talking about different springs and what the rider weighs in deciding the springs to go with. I am alittle over 200 lbs. What would be ideal springs for the bike? I'm assuming that different springs have different spring wieghts from that topic. Do they also determine ride hight?

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They are gonna ride pretty much the same height.... 125 or 250? Doesn't really matter. Your gonna want a lighter spring in your KX forks than what is required for MX. 125 spring rate should be closer in rate than the 250's proly. I'm 200, have 03 KX125 forks with .42 stock springs in em. The tuner I bought em from, mx tech site both agree that these springs are about right for me and the way I ride. Just gotta bite the bullet and you can adjust from any point.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

ok thanks.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Sorry to keep bugging you but are fork seals hard to install?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nope :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I am now the proud owner of a set of 1997 KX 250 forks. :shock: Now i just need to locate some seals and install.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:grin: Congrats!
Just know that you should have a good idea how these come apart before tackling this or have a shop do it for ya.

Starting from step 14.
http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/moto/ ... ybfrk.html
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks! That will help alot.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A question about the linked procedure...

I don't see where the fork tubes come apart. They have a together set ...then they are apart.

The conventionals don't come apart unless you yank on 'em pretty hard. The USDs just kind'a come apart?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup....gotta pop that ring though....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"16. Grab the inner and outer tubes and forcefully stroke them up and down until the tubes come apart."

I guess you just slide hammer them apart like conventionals.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Anyone reading this and still wondering about fork years to get when doing this mod:
Get 1996 or newer. Older fork technology is quite different in the KYB's for 1995 and older. FYI
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!