Real hard time Starting

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Real hard time Starting

Post by Ryan »

I am pretty sure it is due to jetting but my bike is having a really hard time starting. The weather is about 40 degrees. I used to be able to start it, in like 1 or 2 kicks cold when it was about 70. Now it takes 30 or 40 kicks and by the time is starts i have to rest. It runs great once it warms up. When it is warm, one kick gets it going.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Turn the air screw in all the ways and make sure the choke is on before starting it.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I change my pilot at 30 degree change. I use a 40 for over 50 degrees and a 42 under 50. It is quite possible that a change is needed. Also, the very rich condition present when the starter valve is raised makes it harder for the spark. So there could be a problem there like a weak spark or a plug/gap.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

so basically it is just way rich. I am going to switch over to Amsoil Interceptor. I am running 32:1 and i want to go to 40:1. Would this be enough of a change where it may be easier to start?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Basically, your pre-mix ratio has diddle to do with it, or very little diddle. Anytime you pull up on that enrichening circuit it becomes VERY rich, just like a choke condition. Check for a good blue/white spark, proper gap and float level. The enrichening circuit could be plugged or partially blocked. If that's the case the plug won't be fouled. That would require a good cleaning out. The AS should already be where it always was, but check it again. Try Morie's suggestion to make it even richer. If yer fouling the plug it could be a weak spark.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I'm with Brad. Probably the plug. I say put a brandy new correctly gapped one in though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

that was my initial thought when it happend the first time. So a brand new plug went it. It started right up... 40 kicks later. :roll: I am thinking maybe i should change my jetting.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

How's your fuel?

A little water in the bowl will make for hard starts and it'll stay there until you drain it
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

its pretty fresh. This has happened more than once though, so i think it is definatley to do with the cold. I will try to put my 45 pilot in. Thanks for all your help guys, you all answer pretty quick and you always know the answers to my most of the time not so smart or thought through questions. . :supz:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

I had a similar problem with my YZ250 -- sometimes it would start 2-3 kicks others it would take 1/2 of my riding time -- it didn't matter if the temp was 20 degrees or 90 degrees. I tried everything mentioned above and nothing made a difference.

The problem turned out to be the kill switch! It was intermittently sticking part of the way in. Swapped it and it never failed to start by the 3rd kick.

Just thought I'd mention it....
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Ryan wrote:its pretty fresh. This has happened more than once though, so i think it is definatley to do with the cold. I will try to put my 45 pilot in. Thanks for all your help guys, you all answer pretty quick and you always know the answers to my most of the time not so smart or thought through questions. . :supz:
Fresh really means little (well unless you buy Arco gas). My bike sat for a year and a half with the same old gas in it. I kicked it 20 times, nothing. Drained the bowl and she fired on the second kick.

I've got six bikes out in the shed, any of them give me trouble starting, first thing I go after is the carb, take it off & clean it, and they always fire back up really easy
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'so basically it is just way rich.'

??

IF it was right, and the weather is colder, it's too LEAN, not 'way rich'.

A .032"+ plug will give you fits starting.

If your start method doesn't work, change it.

Do what m0rie said, for one.

Before you try to fire it, kick it a few times while holding the kill button 'on' (in).

By listening and paying attention to the bike, you will know when it's not starting due to too rich or not rich enough (that a reference to the intake charge, not jetting). Change that situation with throttle position, sometimes laying the bike on its side to clear an overfull carb.

Lots of tricks and methods. Find one that works and use it.

Change your pilot as already mentioned.

The point of jetting is to make the bike run well where you USE it..and that is likely when it's hot. I'll hassle with a cold-blooded starter when I know it RUNS great once I GET it running.

Fact is, a properly jetted KDX starts easily AND runs well with the same jetset. If you're having a problem, you need to change your jetting or your choke-cold start method.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!