kx shock conversion

Got questions? We got answers....
alleykat24

kx shock conversion

Post by alleykat24 »

Hey Indawoods,
I have a '02 kdx and considering changing my front forks to a '98 mx fork. Is it possible to convert the rear shock ('98) as well or should I leave it alone? Just curious!

GREAT site by the way!!!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

A kx shock will bolt in but it is about an 1" longer than the KDX shock. To work correctly it should have its shaft shortened.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
alleykat24

Post by alleykat24 »

Thanks morie! Is it really worth doing since I'm converting the front or should I just leave it the way it is?
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

MX type shocks are not neccessary for "normal" trail riding. Whoever, if you have put on KX USD forks and if you ride fast most of the time, like 3rd gear and above, over whoops and hard hits, then the high speed circuit of an MX shock could be a great addition. I just put a RM125 Showa on because of this.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just use spacers... about $30
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
bradf wrote:MX type shocks are not neccessary for "normal" trail riding. Whoever, if you have put on KX USD forks and if you ride fast most of the time, like 3rd gear and above, over whoops and hard hits, then the high speed circuit of an MX shock could be a great addition. I just put a RM125 Showa on because of this.
how about that ride report with the showa shock?
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Ride report Friday. My riding buddy smashed the snot out of his pipe while tryin to knock a tree over last time we went out and he gets the pipe back from Pacific Crest tomorrow.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
bradf wrote:Ride report Friday.
:pop: :pop: :pop:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
alleykat24

Post by alleykat24 »

Thanx guys for the info! :grin:
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Wow, i am looking at ebay right now and there are quite a few forks for what I think are a screaming deal. $33 for a set right now isnt too bad, is it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki ... 3127QQrdZ1

Sorry to hijack but what is a normal price for a set like that?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Normal price? As in new or as in what they usually go for?

New around $1500... what they go for would be anywhere between $1 to $300

It always amazes me what some people get stuff for... I always pay premium. :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'm with Inda - always seem to pay premium. I paid about that for a triple tree.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Dang it I knew I should have listed that one on the ebay hands off!
Well maybe next time... :?