HELP: throttle grip not returning (sticking)

Got questions? We got answers....
crazybrit

HELP: throttle grip not returning (sticking)

Post by crazybrit »

I have an odd problem with the throttle grip on my KDX. If you open the thottle grip 100% and then release it will slowly go back about 60% and then requires to be pushed back to the start position. I tried searching for this but couldn't find any hits.

I just relubed the cable. Earlier this year I did pull the carb, clean and reassemble it. I think I did it correctly, bike runs well. Just now (when I removed the cable from the throttle grip assembly for lubing) the cable when pulled and released retracts back with a snap as one would expect.

I've greased the bar under the throttle assembly and the throttle grip moves freely on the bar without binding.

The only thing I can think is happening (and I'm not sure this is the cause) is that there is a removable plastic circular track inside the throttle grip assembly where the cable runs and that the cable is dragging on it. It appears to be this bend that is causing the issue. I've tried putting grease etc in there but it doesn't help.

Anyone got any ideas?

Tony
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Lose the grease! :shock:

There should be nothing under your throttle tube at all! Clean that out of there....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Make sure the end of the throttle tube isn't rubbing on the end of the bars. Or if you have bark busters make sure they aren't causing the tube to bind. Oh and definately get rid of any grease, you want it clean and dry under there.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Mine had the same problem after I greased in between the bar and tube. So like Inda said loose the grease. Oh and after cleaning the grease I used graphite instead.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
motorider200 wrote:Mine had the same problem after I greased in between the bar and tube. So like Inda said loose the grease. Oh and after cleaning the grease I used graphite instead.
I've tried every combination. I only added the grease between the bar and the tube as a final experiment, it was no different before. I found a tear in the outer cable sheath so I'm guessing the cable is bad, it's all the way through and I can see the steel lining. I'll try a replacement cable. Are Motion Pro any good? I thought I'd heard of problems with them (on the KDX and people preferred the Kawasaki cables).

Odd that the cable would retract when not in the throttle assembly. I pulled the entire cable and it doesn't seem smooth.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I had the same problem when I installed barkbusters but I solved that by taking more material from the throttle tube.

Motion Pro are good. I have one on my KDX when the old one snapped. It fit in perfectly and needed only the minimal adjustments to get it tightened properly.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

It sounds like your looking at the whole cable system which is good for a problem like this.

You mentioned the plastic throttle spring locator piece in the slide as a potential problem area. I would agree with you in that I have seen a number of throttle valve slides where the plastic sleeve does not easily slide down over the needle cap nut very easily.

When you have the throttle valve out of the carburator next time - remove the cable and take the plastic spring locator sleeve and ensure you are 100% sure of how far it drops into the slide prior to it fully seating (ensure orientation locator ridge is lined up with cable insertion slot).

Sometimes it helps to push down with a blunt allen wrench or other tool to fully seat the plastic sleeve. Make a mental note how far the cap nut protudes above the top of the sleeve for future reference. It is easy to think the plastic sleeve is fully seated when in fact; it is hung up due to a burr or nick on the cap nut, the interior of the TV or in or on the plastic throttle spring sleeve.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

You mentioned the plastic throttle spring locator piece in the slide as a potential problem area.
I was talking about the plastic guide in the throttle grip assembly (on the bars). It's a 90 degree curved channel. I'm thinking it's not the issue after all.
When you have the throttle valve out of the carburator next time - remove the cable and take the plastic spring locator sleeve and ensure you are 100% sure of how far it drops into the slide prior to it fully seating (ensure orientation locator ridge is lined up with cable insertion slot).
I found a tear in the outer sheath of the cable. Hard to find, I only found it when I noticed the cable was slightly misrouted from the spec in the manual and removed it.

Cleaned all the grease off the bar, took some wet sandpaper and made sure the bar was smooth. Pulled the cable totally off the bike, relubed it again (god I hate cable lubers -and- I have the 2 screw one). Put some heat shrink tubing over the tear in the cable (as all 3 dealers are out of stock of cables for this weekend and noone has the Motion Pro).

I rerouted the cable correctly, installed into the carb (yes, of course, made sure that the sleeve fit fully into the cable insertion slot). Tested it and the grip wouldn't return at all. Just stuck at WFO. !@#%$. I adjusted the upper screw on the bars slightly and it was perfect, snapped back totally. So I screwed on the upper plastic cover (over the upper cable end) and the grip wouldn't move again. Grrr. Adjusted the screw a bit more and it was perfect again.

It seems perfect now, I'm thinking the cable is foobared. I'll order a replacement but hopefully this is good enough for the ride this weekend, we shall see.

FYI, all of the above was with the barkbusters removed. Duh!!!!!!! They are the last thing to get put back on.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

We'll be praying for you. :blink:

Kill switch ok? :wink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Watch out if you get a shop to make you one. I had a local shop make me one and low and behold it was too short...way too short. I ended up ghetto rigging it by cutting down the sleeving to a good length and duct taping it to hold it in place. It was a temporary fix for 1 ride untill the Motion Pro i had ordered a week earlier came. The Motion Pro fit in perfectly and hasnt caused me any grief since.

Those rigged cables are more fun anyway, it adds to excitment of riding. "will my cable break on this jump or next...." Make sure that kills switch works. :p
csmutty

Post by csmutty »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:Watch out if you get a shop to make you one. I had a local shop make me one and low and behold it was too short...way too short. I ended up ghetto rigging it by cutting down the sleeving to a good length and duct taping it to hold it in place. It was a temporary fix for 1 ride untill the Motion Pro i had ordered a week earlier came. The Motion Pro fit in perfectly and hasnt caused me any grief since.

Those rigged cables are more fun anyway, it adds to excitment of riding. "will my cable break on this jump or next...." Make sure that kills switch works. :p
Why would you need a kill switch when you have a clutch????
haha :twisted: