Howdy, and a few questions:

Got questions? We got answers....
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Howdy, and a few questions:

Post by stringburner »

I've been reading up on things here for a week or so, and had a few questions. If ya'll were looking for a used KDX to mod and spruce up a bit, would you look at the 200's or the 220's in particular, or does it really matter? I'm thinking the head & carb mods, forged piston, reed block of some sort (after I reread and decide which one is best), & pipe/silencer as far as engine. My goal would be to increase the power and respone w/o losing much in the reliability department. The KX fork upgrade is intriguing, although that sounds a little more in depth (headaches), but it would be nice. I'm going to read a bit more in the Fork Conversion section to get a better idea of the process. It's just so broken up into alot of posts, that it's hard to get an idea of the difficulty level. Other than that, just sprucing the bike up aesthetically so it looks good, and any other issues that need addressing. So the questions are:

1)Which displacement bike would you lean toward as a project bike?
2) Are there any certain weak points on the KDX's I should look for as i'm checking out the bikes i'm considering purchasing.

I looked at an '05 220 Saturday, but man, that thing looked like it went through a sausage grinder. I was amazed. All the plastic and graphics were trashed, back fender broke off w/ a UFO unit tie wired on, rear harness shredded, tires shot, front wheel bent (not out of round, but like bent out on each side at the tire bead in one spot....how's that happen?) seat cover torn, clutch lever broke, front pads shot, chain stretched w/ adjusters maxed out, countershaft sprocket wore down to a nub, all related sliders and rollers worn, front brake lever felt "creaky/catchy", although it appeared to work fine, bars bent, handguards broke, pipe dented, silencer mashed, and the light switch was tore from the bars w/ just the wires hanging there. Other than that, it wasn't too bad. :~) It ran pretty good, started on the first kick (from stone cold), had the typical blubbery factory jetting symptoms, and the headlight worked (on all the time). Soooo, whatta ya'll think that thing would be worth?

Anyways, what would you guys look for. I've had a KDX200 back in the late 80's...I think it was an '89, first year for liquid cooling? I liked it pretty good, and wouldn't mind having another one to tinker w/. I had a new KTM 200EXC last year, and they are wicked machines. I would get another one of them, but i'd like to have something to tinker w/, and maybe come in a fair amount under the price of a new 200 EXC, and still have a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure no amount of mods w/in reason would make a KDX run like a KTM, but that's not really what i'm after. I NEED to tinker. I rode the 220 I mentioned above and it's much, much softer than my KTM power-wise and suspension-wise, but it sure was comfortable, and lofted the front wheel w/ ease. Any thoughts ya'll could throw out would be much appreciated.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

2) Are there any certain weak points on the KDX's I should look for as i'm checking out the bikes i'm considering purchasing.
yep, the rider! :mrgreen:

From what you describe, the bike looks trashed and not well cared for (especially for a 2005 model). IMO when the outside is not looking so good, (aside for regular worn out part) the engine is probably in the same kind of shape.... :?
For the kind of shape you describe I don't know if I would pay more than 1000. (closer to 500 maybe)

As far as choosing between 220 and 200, kind of depends what you like powerwise, and where you ride. They are both good projects.
As far as I know, the 220 has more low end than the 200. On the other end the 220 has that "grenade piton", the 200 doesn't.

For the fork: check this tread, explain why KX conversion is better than stock KDX.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3131

Wilf
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, so i'm assuming the 220 would end up producing more power overall w/ similar powerband characteristics as a modded 200 (no replacement for displacement, etc..), so for maximum results, the 220 is the way to go. With the popular mods, does the 220 end up w/ decent top end pull? I'd like to be able to lug the engine and putt around, but still have the thrill factor when you grab a gear and kick it in the butt, w/ the 220 or 200. I'm not racing or anything, but i'm an experienced rider.

AS for the forks, I have a few other questions. Besides the usd forks, I would guess you need the upper and lower clamps. Besides that, i'd also need the KX front wheel and brake rotor/caliper, and master cylinder? I'd reckon the ticket would be to find a whole, complete front end setup. And the main thing, how hard is it to get things right inside the steering stem w/ the new parts. I read about having to use spacers and washers, and it was mildly confusing. I appreciate the help clarifying some of this stuff. I know most of it isn't difficult, but it can be confusing if you haven't done it or seen it done.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

In a word... no.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Thanks Admin! It's all crystal clear now. :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sorry.. i will elaborate in a bit... I meant to write more but very busy at work. :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The 220 and 200 are 2 different animals. Powerband, compression, carb, etc...

Both are great bikes but the 220 is ported differently for lower torque and great in gnarly woods. The 200 on the otherhand is closer to your traditional 2 stroker but yet handles low R's and has more torque than your standard 2 stroker.

Both can be made into great alround bikes but they are different in character.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Ok, thanks for the answer. So, to simplify, let me ask this: Can the 220 be made to have an "inspiring" top end rush w/ less than extensive engine work, or would I be better off starting w/ the 200 if that was one of the traits I was after.

Anybody that wants to answer any of the other questions feel free. I don't want to bog the thread down w/ too many questions, but my mind is abuzz w/ ring a ding ding 2 stroke lust. :shock:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sure... have the head and carb RB'd and you will be far ahead of a stock 220.

On the KX frontend. Best case senerio is a complete KX frontend. This rarely happens so pick a year... and go for the sum of parts.

I have 03 forks, 01 wheel w/rotor, axle and spacers. The KDX caliper can be used going with the KDX brake line routing (which is prefered). It is really easy to do, just take your time and don't get in a rush... you have all winter. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

since you already have KTM experience, what keeps you from going the KTM 300 route? I have ridden one of these, I loved the motor. Hated the ergos, but ergos are a personal preference thing and if you like KTMs, that might be a wash for you. Why do I like the KDX? I'm a sloppy rider, like to steer from both ends if I need to. The KDX is very forgiving for me. KTM's seemed too demanding of me, having to think ahead and such. Why do I like KTM's? top notch stuff right out of the box. No need to upgrade anything, but suspension tuning seems to be a bear.

My KDX 220 and I are a pair, she was sweet to me after I broke a couple ribs and had to ride quite a ways back to the truck over 4-5 foot drop-offs. would not want to be there on a KTM! :wink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

So the KDX caliper works w/ the KX rotor. That sounds good. I'm wondering if the cable routing will be "factory looking" w/o having to jury rig it. I'm kind of a stickler for details, and things being "right". I'm guessing there are cable guides available to make it work, and maybe a clamp on the fork protector. I know I should be reading all of this w/o begging for answers, but there's ALOT of info here to wade through, and lots of stuff running through my mind at this point. I'll try the search function to look up answers so I won't drive you guys insane. And you're right. I have all winter to procure a bike and set it up to my liking. I'm watching a few on Ebay right now.

Mike, I will probably end up back on a KTM eventually. In fact, we all probably will if we want to keep riding somewhat late model 2 strokes. KTM is still doing R&D and releasing brand new 2-cycle engines. The Japanese are apparently giving up on them. It amazes me that the 4-strokes have to run twice as much displacement to make comparable hp, yet they are considered "better". Blow a 2-stroke up and you're looking at hundreds of dollars. Blow the top on your 4-stroke and your looking at thousands...Ugh, don't get me started. Anyway, KTM, and maybe Husqvarna and GasGas are going to be our only choices in the near future. And I will probably get another 200 when/if i go back to KTM. I really liked that bike. I just would like to have a KDX again before they are all gone. I've just always liked them.
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I just dug a local trader paper out of the trash and called about an '05 kdx 200 that was in there last week, but not this week. He still has it, and it has the suspension set-up for a 185 pound rider (new fork springs and rear spring), Moose bars, complete FMF exhaust, new Pirelli tires, new chain and sprockets, a reed block of some sort, and rejetted. The paper said $2800, but I was the only one who called and he seemed anxious to get rid of it, and he said he'd "make me a hell of a deal". I'm gonna go look at it as soon as I can this week, or this weekend. This might be the one.

Oh yeah Mike. The main reason i'm not getting a KTM right now is they are much more expensive than a KDX, or I would. I'm trying to have fun w/o breaking the bank this winter.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think I would go with a GAS GAS over a KTM... but that's just me. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Aw come on now. All that pretty orange plastic, Brembo brakes and hydraulic clutch, Renthal fat bars, contour rotors and real slim midsection. You gotta love it. It's WAY easier to sell a used KTM than a GasGas too. KTM's have a big following and great resale. KDX's are cool too though. :partyman:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I buck trends... I had a KTM 250EXC... The most uncomfortable bike I have ever rode in my life.

Gas Gas! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I'll grant you that. They are very stiff. There are lots of complaints about the seats over on KTMTalk. KTM's feel very purpose oriented, race, not play, which is good or bad depending on your needs I guess. I don't think i've ever even seen a GasGas in person. Maybe I need to get out more. :neutral:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Stringburner:

Only a handful of weeks back I had the chance to ride an '05 GAS GAS EC250 that I came closer to buying than I did any other bike . . . until I opted for the '03 220 I now have.

I test rode the GAS GAS on a paved parking lot for what it's worth. After I watched the owner drive it around a bit - he made several "passes" down the BMW dealer's lot (yes, you read that right) - I could see the smoothness of the bike, even when he lifted the front wheel off the ground. And he followed up with some tight figure 8's, barely moving, and this 250 didn't lurch or even come close to stalling. When I rode it I was absolutely impressed by the smoothness of the pickup - it literally reminds me of takeoff in a jet: smooth but very powerful acceleration. I was very easy on the thottle through most of the passes down the lot but on one of the last passes felt the front wheel lift off the ground very gracefully. The last pass I wicked it a tad after switching into second - WHOA. Awesome power.

My riding style these days includes youngins so I opted for the 220. The low end on my bike is superb. I've got a piston to replace yet - very soon - but I went ahead and installed the FMF rev pipe first because I couldn't wait to see what it would do to the top end. Result? Very noticeable, and I haven't even got it jetted right yet (and won't till after the piston change). Definate difference in extended top end, no question. Bottom end is still there, too.

:supz:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I thought the 'In a word, no' part was great!

Indeed it was the correct answer to every question asked.

Ok, so i'm assuming the 220 would end up producing more power overall

No.

w/ similar powerband characteristics as a modded 200

No

(no replacement for displacement, etc..), so for maximum results, the 220 is the way to go.

No.

With the popular mods, does the 220 end up w/ decent top end pull?

No.

I'd like to be able to lug the engine and putt around, but still have the thrill factor when you grab a gear and kick it in the butt, w/ the 220 or 200. I'm not racing or anything, but i'm an experienced rider.

AS for the forks, I have a few other questions. Besides the usd forks, I would guess you need the upper and lower clamps. Besides that, i'd also need the KX front wheel and brake rotor/caliper, and master cylinder?

No.

I'd reckon the ticket would be to find a whole, complete front end setup. And the main thing, how hard is it to get things right inside the steering stem w/ the new parts. I read about having to use spacers and washers, and it was mildly confusing.

No.

See? That worked quite well.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Hiya Jeb. I'm sure the GaGas's are great bikes. My biggest concern would be parts availability, lack of a local dealer, and resale value. KTM's have come a long way in the last 5 years or so, and developed quite a following. KTM listens, and delivers what their customers want more than any other manufacturer, and there is a really good local dealer in my area. The 200 EXC was perfect for what I needed. It would poke along if you wanted, but had instant throttle response to a shrieking top end. Enough of that though, I'm in KDX mode right now. :grin: I'd like to find a 220, but a 200 would be fine too. I'm chomping at the bit to go look at that '05 200 this week, but I don't want to seem overanxious. I hope it's in decent shape and we can come to an agreeable price. He listed it for $2800, but I see leftover '05's and '06's in the $3300 range, so I probably wouldn't want to pay that much for a used example. I'm trying to be patient and keep my wits about me while i'm searching. I'm sure ya'll know that feeling when you want a bike in your garage, it can make you jump at the first one you look at. Thanks for the reply.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I never said get a Gas Gas... but if I was to buy something different... it would probably be one. There are allot of dealers throughout the US so part wouldn't be an issue.

I will stick with my trusty 2hunny... :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****