Howdy, and a few questions:

Got questions? We got answers....
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I'm gonna stick w/ 2 strokes as long as I can too. Light, reliable, and quick. :partyman:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

stringburner - take your time lookin. Something good will come along, Gas-Gas, KDX, KTM, whichever. I cruised through this site for several weeks and relied upon feedback from a number of folks that post on this site.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I never said get a Gas Gas... but if I was to buy something different... it would probably be one. There are allot of dealers throughout the US so part wouldn't be an issue.

I will stick with my trusty 2hunny... :supz:
What happened that you changed your tune about Gas Gas service/parts? :shock:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

How'd I change my tune? :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I asked about Gas-Gas a few weeks back, remember this?

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: Gas Gas = Where to get Parts and support?
KDX = Cheap riding and great support from this forum!
No big deal, really! I wouldn't give my 220 back for nuthin!! :grin:

I figured you learned since then that Gas-Gas support's not so bad. There's pretty good web-based parts availability.

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... I did some research... :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I really wouldn't get discouraged by that too much either. That's because what is discouraging is the fact that I've never once walked into the stealership and walked out with a part. They had to order it, and then I had to go back. At this point I'd rather mail/internet order and have the parts in a box on my doorstep in two days. Jets, plugs, etc should ALWAYS be available, and there are mixed results here too. :neutral: Still, the KDX rocks and is hard to beat for the money even when factoring in our typical list of upgrades...Including front susp swap.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I think part of the allure of the KDX is to take one and upgrade the engine and suspension to be what Kawasaki could have done, and then see what you got. That and they seem to be stone reliable and relatively cheap to purchase second hand and to own. I was wondering.....Does the FMF or Pro Circuit exhaust systems make them sound a little less "subdued" compared to what they sound like w/ the stock pipes? I hadn't been around a KDX for awhile, and I was kind of shocked how docile and quiet that 220 I looked at sounded compared to my EXC...Kind of muffled and lazy sounding vs. crisp and hyper. Just wondering.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The stock pipe and silencer really do what they were designed to do.. which is ..muffle. if you change those will it sound just like a KTM? uh, no, to get that you need to replace everything under the radiator cap with a KTM :wink: . Personally, I like running the stock silencer with my FMF pipe. kinda stealthy.. I like the look on my bud's faces when they turn to look for me and I'm right on their butts. The thing is heavy though. nice thing is no repacks required.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I second CM's motion on the stock silencer. My 220 got a tad noisier with the new rev pipe itself but I, too, have kept my stock silencer and with great results. Even with some holes drilled into the air box the total package is still pretty doggon quiet.

And it's a pretty doggon good package with the rev pipe, that puppy added some zip!! Gotta get an album going with a few pics . . .

CLICK FOR PICS!
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I like the look on my bud's faces when they turn to look for me and I'm right on their butts.
I was flipping channels the other day and came across some sort of ATV show. They were doing a ride in Costa Rica, and there were some bikes along. One was a KTM 2-stroke, and one was a Yamaha WR. In several video segments of just the bikes, I never did hear the 2 stroke engine once. The thumper completely drown it out. Just an observation.....
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Checked out the '05 200 this evening. It looks like it was well taken care of. He runs Mobil 1 sythetic in the tranny and premix. The FMF pipe has one dent in it, and the silencer/rear fender is a little spoogy. It's a little dirty in the crevices, the paint on the frame is worn off a little, the plastic is scratched up, and the tank graphics are rubbed off from his legs. He said it has about 900 miles on it. The pipe & silencer did wake up the sound of it. It sounded really good. I heard what must be the "kips rattle". It's pretty noticeable w/ each stroke of the piston. He's asking $2800 for it, which I think is a little high. I'm seeing leftover new ones on Ebay & Cycle Trader in the $3300~3600 range. Whatcha'll think? I'm thinking in the $2300~$2500 range.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I wouldn't pay more than $2K for a used one, and it would have to have a ton of extra's like skid plate, guards, stuff like that. you're gonna need the RB stuff and some KX forks. Look at the prices of KX/YZ 250's around you. If I was doing it over again, I'd get me a last year's YZ 250, and armor it up.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
gabem

Post by gabem »

IMHO, the 220 will never have the 200's top end power, the bike was just not made for that.
I had a '95 200 for 5-years, and now my son has a 220, they are 2 completely different bikes, But for fun, all you have to do is ride the 220 one gear higher and presto. The 220 definitely has a shorter working gear range because it revs out so much quicker than the 200, but it sure has a lot of torque. Unbelievable wheelies in 4th gear at about 1/4 throttle. I just rode it a few times at Loretta's this past weekend and love the power and how easy it is on the body.
BTW I ride a KTM 250 EXC and love it, but it is much more work than the KDX.

FYI, the 220 is for sale in this forum, see link.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3133
Gabe
KTM250 EXC (2-T)
MTDR Board Member/Secretary
http://www.mtdr.net
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I wouldn't pay more than $2K for a used one, and it would have to have a ton of extra's like skid plate, guards, stuff like that. you're gonna need the RB stuff and some KX forks. Look at the prices of KX/YZ 250's around you. If I was doing it over again, I'd get me a last year's YZ 250, and armor it up.
That's what im thinking too. About 2 grand for a well used machine is plenty. He got it at the local dealer, and I know what they sold them for 2 years ago ($3600 otd). Personally I wouldn't think I could get $2800 out of a dirt bike that I paid $3600 for 2 years prior. The YZ idea i've thought of. They seem to be reeaaaallll popular amongst the top woods riders. The tests i've read praise the bikes, especially the engines. Oh yeah, the KDX did have an aluminum skid plate and aluminum handguards w/ plastic covers.
IMHO, the 220 will never have the 200's top end power, the bike was just not made for that.
Yeah, i'm beginning to understand that. At first I was leaning toward the 220 due to the extra displacement, but now i'm leaning more toward the 200 because of the better top end hit. If your 220 was closer, I'd take a look at it. I've been going to Nashville about every year, but no shows at the Station Inn have got me fired up for the road trip this year, or I'd look you up.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Stringburner - IMHO my 220 isn't bad at all on the upper end with this rev pipe. OK, it doesn't rev like an mxer. From what I remember about the 200 I rode this summer it doesn't either.

220 + rev pipe has substantial thrust all through the middle and into the upper end. IMHO

Did I say the rev pipe is killer?

CLICK FOR PICS!
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Honestly, I think i'd be happy w/ either the KDX200 or 220, a YZ "woodsified", or a KTM. I just need a 2 stroke in my garage. :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The 220 was more purpose built vs. the 200. I prefer the 200 myself. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Ok lets clear it up, there is a big difference in a KDX 220 or 200 depending on the mods done to it. for example take a 220 thats been ported had head work and 36mm carb verses a 200 with an RB head work and carb work. I bought my 220 with fresh engine all modified and assembled by the Fredette shop. I jumped off a 650 four stroke to the KDX and you would think I would notice a lack of top end. If I were to have rode a stock KDX 200 or 220 I would have passed and got a 250 of some sort.
once modified the KDX 200/220 is a different bike power wise.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Well, I won an Ebay auction on a new w/ warranty '06 KDX 200 this evening for $3349. I'm more comfortable w/ that than paying $2800 for a ragged out '05 w/ 2 years of abuse on it, that needs 5 or 8 hundred dollars worth of work to bring it up to snuff. So....what's the first thing I need to do when I get it?