Spark plug appears oily...

Got questions? We got answers....
mandofiddle

Spark plug appears oily...

Post by mandofiddle »

Hi everyone.
I pulled the spark plug in my 97 KDX220 over the weekend for the first time (I just got the bike about a month ago. It's my first bike). I purchased a new spark plug and gapped it according to the online manual. However, the old plug was not the same plug as stated being correct in the manual, and it was also gapped at about .3 as opposed to .7 - .8. Other than that issue, I noticed that the old plug appeared oily on the threads and a little on the spark area. Am wondering if this means it's running rich?

I haven't done anything with the jetting since I bought it, as I have NO idea anything about the mechanics of jetting. It seems to be running pretty good though, as far as that goes. Should I try to solve the oily spark plug thing by adjusting the needle before I look into jetting? If so, which way would I go with the needle? Also, does anyone know of any resources on how to learn this stuff (perhaps online) without actually having someone to show me? I'd rather learn how to do this myself than rely on a shop. I'm really new at this, and don't even know where the needle is. Yes I know... but I'll learn if there's somewhere to learn it from. Baby steps...

Thanks all!

-Dave
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Also, does anyone know of any resources on how to learn this stuff
well, you came to the perfect place for that.
You can do a search for jetting and you will find a lot of info on this website.
I'm in the same situation as you are trying to jet the bike properly.
Tell us a bit more about your bike (mods you have, jetting, elevation, temp...) and the guys on this website will point you in the right direction.

wilf
mandofiddle

Post by mandofiddle »

It's a 97 KDX 220. Has an FMF Desert Rev pipe and Turbine Core II silencer. No idea what the jet specs are, as I don't even know how to find the jets (yes, I'm that green). I'll be riding mostly at 5000' and higher in Colorado (between 50 and 90+ degree temps).
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Properly gap and install the correct spark plug for your bike and ride it before messing with any jetting. You should clean your air filter also prior to making any judgements associated with jetting.

NOTE - You stated the bike ran good with the improper gapped and non-standard installed plug - why would you want to base ANY changes based on THAT plug???

People will give information on what has worked for them with similar set-ups.

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark ... talog.html

Indawoods has a write-up associated with jetting - you should perform a search to find it. :grin: Jetting Guidelines or something like that is pinned in one of the forums
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Do you have the maintenance manual (also called the KDX bible :mrgreen: )?
If not, go to the Kawi website to find the split view of your carb (or any other part).
Here is a shortcut:
http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.as ... atalogId=1
There you will find where the jets (main and pilot) are located.
(note when you put your carb back together, do not overtighten the jets and the screws that hold the carb together or you'll strip the tread :? )
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I gotta put in $.02 too. Do what IC said and also pull the silencer packing and check it. There aint no way to properly jet without clean packing in the silencer. If that bad boy is all spooged and plugged it's going to have a bad affect on airflow.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
mandofiddle

Post by mandofiddle »

Gotcha. I'm planning on riding in Grand junction this coming weekend with the new plug. That'll give me a good starting point as far as performance. And I'll pull the plug afterwards to check oily residue, etc. It'll probably be my last big ride of the season, so I'll have time do the silencer packing etc, without worrying about the possibility of missing a weekend of riding :) I've been reading up on redoing the top end, and gaskets, etc, and have been thinking about taking the winter to do some of this kind of stuff while learning my bike in the process.

As far as the manual mentioned above (i.e. the KDX bible)... Does that have more info in it than the online manual linked to from this site?

Thanks all!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

As far as the manual mentioned above (i.e. the KDX bible)... Does that have more info in it than the online manual linked to from this site?
Yes it's the kawi manual that most mecanics use (I think). It shows just about everything you need to know when you work on your bike.
Check ebay, you'll find them for cheap.

Wilf
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Oh and there is the new KDX online manual...top right of this page :roll: