Interesting Fork Compression Settings....

Got questions? We got answers....
Tusk

Interesting Fork Compression Settings....

Post by Tusk »

I haven't been enjoying my ride as much as I thought due to suspension annoyances. (also due to ignorance on my part and no manual yet)
I borrowed a manual and :roll: duh I found out I can adjust the compression dampening setting.

So I check my forks. Right side: 8 clicks out from full hard. Left side: No clicks Full Hard! :rolleyes: OY!! No wonder.

I put them back to default at 9 each and boy what a difference. I need to tune from there, but I've been riding up at Tower City PA (Mining area = ROCKS) and have been hating life up there!!

I'm thinking of trying about 11 out on each side when riding up there.

Lesson learned.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

check your shock too, both compression and rebound
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Tusk

Post by Tusk »

Yep... thanks Brad... I actually figured that one out on my own. :wink: 20+ years of street riding helped. I've just never encountered adjustments on the BOTTOM of the forks.

I will need more adjustments there too though.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
bradf wrote:check your shock too, both compression and rebound
Both HI and LOW compression. Until last weekend I had no idea the big nut on the shock did anything at all, I thought it was just the flat headed screw adjuster. :oops:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
grump99

Post by grump99 »

I also ride at Tower City and you are right about the rocks :shock:. I found the stock forks to be harsh at high speed even with clickers all the way out. I ended up removing 2 shims from each shim stack and that helped remedy the harshness. A lot of people rave about the kx fork mod, may be something to consider. Good luck! :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not just a lot... Everyone who had switched to KX forks wouldn't go back.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Post by Kawinj »

I'm a Tower City glutton and just had my suspension re-done. Those trails are punishing if you're not set-up right.

Tusk I know you mentioned you were just up there (TC) We'll have to get together one day. I do an occasional solo ride there against other people's better judgement, but like they say beggars can't be chosers.
Tusk

Post by Tusk »

>|<>QBB<
Kawinj wrote:I'm a Tower City glutton and just had my suspension re-done. Those trails are punishing if you're not set-up right.

Tusk I know you mentioned you were just up there (TC) We'll have to get together one day. I do an occasional solo ride there against other people's better judgement, but like they say beggars can't be chosers.
Sounds good Kawini. My work schedule allows for some time off during the week occationally.

And thanks guys for the updates. I "searched" through the archives here and read about the shim removal. I may go that route first.
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Good luck :partyman:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Whoa!

Big nut on the shock?

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?:hmm:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I wasn't going to say anthing but since you did CC...

Yeah.... What do you mean big nut? :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|QBB<[/url]
canyncarvr wrote:Whoa!

Big nut on the shock?

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?:hmm:
Well I went along to the suspension seminar with about 2hrs sleep under my belt so it's very possible I misinterpreted it. The understanding I had was that the 'big nut' be it red, gold, silver, blue etc was for high speed compression adjustment and the flat head slot inside it is for low speed adjustment.

http://www.aat-mx.com/shockua.htm

When the guy was explaining the shock adjusters I thought he said something about the outside nut. So I said "So the outside nut is what you adjust for high speed not the flat headed screw ??" He said 'THATS IT"..... Now you have me wondering if he misunderstood what I meant or vica versa.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

well I think the deal is you don't have the outer nut on a KDX. That's on the MX bikes that have better suspenders than we get.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

KayDee...'Ya big nut!!

I don't have a pic of a KYB shock at hand big enough to see..but I concur with Mr. Mike. I think.........

Does the RM Showa have hi/lo adjustment? bradf??

Consider the source

bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Yes it do. The MX KYB's have it too also as well. That is why I am going to the Showa. This high speed circuit is not on the KDX shock because A. it cost more to produce B. the KDX wasn't designed to see the conditions that warrant the HS circuit.
Jeremy Wilkey has completed my Showa mod and it's should be here next week.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I think you may be right. I'll ask him when I have time and remember.

On a side note, I asked him about the differences with Showa VS KYB. He said they are fundamentally the same if both are setup correctly. I'll have to see what he can do with my shock in the next few weeks.

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Great! That makes the KYB/Showa issue much more clear to me.

I didn't realize there was HSC/LSC on the Showa.

The KYB has HSC adjustment capability. You just have to take it apart to GET to it. Heck, I think there's even a BIG NUT in there somewhere!

;)

Consider the source