220 Top End

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

220 Top End

Post by Jeb »

I'll be changing the stock piston out when the Wiseco and gasket kits get here. Just eyeballing things, 'looks to me like I can do this without removing the engine. I say this because in the online manual it shows it being done with the engine out of the frame. Do I really need to remove the engine? Also - the directions show the exhaust valve actuator shaft removal being done before the cylinder is pulled off. Is that sequence necessary? I figure I can pull the head, pull the cylinder address the piston/rings/circlips/bearing, then do the KIPS disassembly for cleaning. I say this because access to the shaft looks difficult with the cylinder in place and in the frame. What do ya think?

BTW - my 220 rocks in the tight woods!! Behind our house is about a 5 acre patch of hilly woods that we've got trails cut for my son (and myself, hee hee). I rode around for about 45 minutes this evening and there's nothing this bike won't do. I've got two 70-80 yard stretches in there as well as rocky hill sections, a handfull of creek crossings, sort of a micro-harescramble. This 220 blows the TTR away, hands down!! I'm MUCH faster, the suspension is MADE for this stuff. I just get into 4th before I have to slam on the brakes - I would kill myself on the TTR if I tried this stuff. And I'm still totally stock!!

Yeah, I love my KDX

:supz:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Wait till you get the bike uncorked and modded up...its night and day!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

It can be done in the frame. Check out some of the pics and proceedures here:
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

The manual is pretty good too though. I don't quite remember the KIPS shaft part, I do know you have to undo a left hand nut on the shaft before the cylinder can come off. Someone else will chime in I am sure.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

You don't need to remove the engine. Beware of the advancer shaft as it has reverse threads. Look closely for the flat spot on the shaft where you hold it with a 6mm while removing the nut. Someone here ruint theirs a few months ago. If the engine is really clean you won't need to take the KIPS apart.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

What eveyone else said... engine in isn't a problem. Again, you'll need to remove the advancer shaft nut (left hand thread) and pay attention to the way everything is aligned so it goes back together easily. If I remember correctly, there are reference marks to follow.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!