crank source?

Got questions? We got answers....
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

crank source?

Post by fulltiltboogie »

Oh crap......my crank has went out on me. To anyone who has replaced theirs....where is the cheapest place to get a crank assembly, seals, etc.
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

I have never had a crank replaced, but looking at the catalogs I see a company called Hot Rods, which does rod and pin replacement stuff. Try and see if they have the whole crank assembly.

http://www.hotRodsproducts.com
FAZ
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'm thinking you will be hard pressed to find a commercial outlet that has new or rebuilt KDX crankshafts just sitting their shelfs waiting for a buyer. Their may be some the larger dealers that would have an OEM one.

Did you completely trash your crank??? If you did NOT blow it up you can likely have the main bearings replaced and a OEM of aftermarket rod kit installed in just a matter of a couple days in most communities.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

yeah, How'd you do that? or do you mean the bearings are shot?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd imagine that Fredette has all the pieces you need. Weather its the cheapest place to get them is another question entirely.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Main bearings, seals and a rod kit are likely available from RockymountainATV or another similar source or Kawaski.

Larger dealerships that handle PWC, Dirt Bikes and Snow machines likely have the equipment to rebuild your crank. Boat shops are also usually a good place to look for crank rebuild. Some small performance shops are very good. IMO ( A general machine shop is NOT very good unless they specialize in small engine rebuilds.)

Some shops do NOT want you to bring in bearings/seals/rod kit that you want installed and others do not seem to care. The shops make some of their profits selling the parts (the parts are known quality parts acceptable to the repair shop) where the customer may bring in cheaper quality parts and then if there is a problem afterward whose fault was it? The cheap unknown parts or the quality of the shop's installation? If I'm not doing it myself - I would pick a reputable shop and buy the parts through the shop trusting their judgement. I've talked to people who have bought their own parts and then purchased only the labor to install the parts. I believe, most of the time, the shops charge more for the labor to off-set their lost on the parts sale so I'm not sure that buying the parts yourself is ever $$$ adhead.

Personnally I would just ask the service department of a couple of the shops in your area who rebuilds their crankshafts. Then go from there.

In Idaho Falls a single throw crankshaft rebuild is between 50-75 dollars for the labor plus parts. (Bearings and seals ~$50-65 and rod kit ~$75-85) This assumes you bring in just the crankshaft for R&R. Bottom line ~$175-200 would get the job done where I live.

If you don't mind sending it off I see that RBdesigns also is performing crankshaft repairs.

Edit - I missed the most obvious shop that should have been considered - thanks Morie
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Here is an option;

Rebuild options http://www.rb-designs.com/crankshaft.html

Supply your own parts or I can.

Ron

(hope I'm not out of line posting this Inda...)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not at all Ron...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "