Replacing stock 220 piston

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Replacing stock 220 piston

Post by bradf »

I am going to do it. Ordered a Wiseco kit and bearing and a Cometic top end gasket. The best part is...I get to fiddle summore! This not knowing is too much. Lately we have been going 16-30 miles up, not a place to have a grenading piston. I would rather spend $116 now than oodles later.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Better safe than sorry, huh?

Going to send the cylinder head to Mr. Black? He'll have it back to you in a couple of days. Heck...from Snohomish you could about throw it there, he'll fix it and throw it back the same day! (probably) Give him a heads up that it's coming. That will likely get it back to you quicker.

Make sure you tell him 'pump gas' ...if that's true.

heh heh...got 'ya thinking now, 'eh?

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

RB modded head? Hmmm...tic tic tic tic. OK CC, tell me about this? What will it do? What will be the grin factor? I got his from another thread
On the 220's it is both a squish band change and more of a compression change as they are week in that department
I hate weak! I want ...no, I need this!
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Check his website: http://www.rb-designs.com

That's where the quote came from sounds like.

Skipro has it. Ask him. Keep in mind that he's (probably?) riding a good bit higher in the sky than you do. Ski runs C12 fuel

Although...Snohomish is up a good ways, isn't it?

MOH' POW'R!! Make sure Ron knows you are going to run pump fuel (if that's so). Also probably tell him your el., too. That may make some difference in what he does/doesn't do to it.

He did my 200 head. I was trying to resolve a rather severe pinging problem I had after the porting job (FRP). He thought he could help. He did! It runs considerably better than it did with the oem head...and although it still pings when I'm squeezing it hard...it pings much less than it did! And that is with MORE compression. It's all about the squish..

yeah. you gotta! :grin:

Oh...he doesn't bore the head...there is no divider installed...and you don't have to mess with a (cute or not) knurled adjustment screw!!

You can still fondle it when you get it back, though. IT comes back pretty, too!!

MAKE SURE THE PINS ARE OUT OF THE HEAD before you send it in!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yea, like CC said.

Tell Ron EVERYTHING you can think of in regards to your riding and what you are trying to achive. He listens real good, so don't make him guess.

New piston:
Smart decision. Of course there will be no perceived enhancement in performance, but the peace-of-mind is money well spent. Do the KIPS service while you have it apart. Don't forget the left hand threads on the shaft and to support it with a second wrench. Keep the circlip gaps at 12 or 6 o'clock. (Personally, I don't think it matters with the KDX but again, it's a peace-of-mind thing.) Touch the edges of your ports where they meet the cylinder walls with some emery cloth to knock any sharp edges off. This is a source of cylinder scoring if a piece of electro plate flakes off and rattles around in there. Stick in a thin wire plug with the fresh top end too. Now is a good time to maybe think about running Evans NPG+ coolant if your bike is prone to run on the warm side. One last thing: Keep a rag shoved down into the lower end so nothing falls in there and ruins your day. Good Luck!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i had rb do my head and carb it's awesome. like cc and ski said tell him all the details. all i have done is go up one size on the main here when it gets cold.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

bradf: Can you tell me exactly which gaskets come in the Cometic gasket kit? My buddy just bought a 220 on Thursday, and he is planning on stripping it down. I am curious to know what other OEM gaskets. o-rings, etc. he is going to need to buy.

Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Jason: Cometic picture shows not only base and head gaskets, but all the different cover gaskets (KIPS). Also some rubber O-rings (KIPS) and the copper exhaust O-ring. I got my parts at Throttlehead, Piston kit =$83, Cometic kit = $26, wrist pin bearing = $12.

I am actually looking forward to this and all preventive things that bring the piece-o-mind. I have wanted to fondle those innards since I got the bike. But, I just found out 30 minutes ago that I will be going to southern CA and possibly NV and AZ Sunday morning and will be gone for 5-21 days. They had floods and mud slides a couple of weeks ago. So this fun will have to wait.

I am running BR8ES plugs and they look so good, that light mocha brown (Ghiradelli not Hershey). What will the fine wire do better?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the info. My buddy is hoping for peace of mind, too. We are hoping to get together next Saturday and strip it to the frame.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

skipro3 wrote: Keep the circlip gaps at 12 or 6 o'clock. (Personally, I don't think it matters with the KDX but again, it's a peace-of-mind thing.)
It does make a difference. This is how I lost my cylinder from the top end that someone did before I bought my 95. Lost the circlip, resulting in a badly scared cylinder, rings and piston. Luckily it didn't get into the bottom end or else damage would have been a lot worse. I have Eric Gorrs book and it clearly states that if it is not at 6 or 12 position that the chances of losing the circlip is great. So, a replacement cylinder, piston etc... is not worth not installing it right. :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda:
The reason I think it doesn't make a difference is this: what keeps the clip at 12 or 6 o'clock position? There isn't a pin (like the piston rings have) to keep the clip from moving. Since the bike is running and vibrating, I think the clip could and probably does move and settle based on gravity, causing the gap to be at the 12 o'clock position within a short time after running the bike.

bradf:
If you end up driving down south and pass through Sacramento area, let me know, I'll meet you for lunch or something. Heading down that way, can you throw your bike in and take a few rides in the desert?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Inertia is my guess.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

In 75 I replaced the piston in my 74 Elsinore and the clip went down the hole... We flipped the bike upside down and shook it till the clip came out. That is one lesson I learned the hard way. My neighbors learned new words too. I have my Steahly FWW ready to on as well, but it is going to wait till the piston and head is done.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I bought a 1987 KDX200 from a guy who said it had a fresh top end, only 5 minutes on it. After I bought it and took apart the top end, I noticed that at about minute 4.5 into this magic 5 minutes, the circlip had let go and scratched the hell out of the piston and cylinder. He didn't lie. The piston was perfectly shiny and new looking, except for the huge gouge in it.

At what "o'clock" is the circlip groove opening on an H model? I think it was at 7 o'clock on the Wiseco '87 piston.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you go by the manual... it's 8 (picture)... If you go by Eric... it's 6 or 12. I just don't want another MISHAP on mine.... I'm going with the 12! :oops:

**EDIT**

From the manual:
Fit a new piston pin snap ring into the piston so that the ring opening does not coincide with the notch in the edge of the piston pin hole.

The notch is in the 4 or 8 position depending on which side you are looking at. Always pointing towards the rear.

Pretty clear huh? :roll:
Last edited by Indawoods on 09:23 pm Feb 05 2005, edited 2 times in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Does the manual say to put it at 7 or is the opening at 7? I just looked in my 1989 - 1994 manual, and it looks like it is at 6. Not so good, if that is the case. I am planning on stripping my bike down as it warms up, including checking out the top end. I will know for sure then.

I think I will put the circlip opening at 12.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The manual says exactly what I wrote... nothing more on the subject.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I've got a 1995 KDX200 manual, but I loaned it to my buddy earlier today, so I couldn't check it. Thanks.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Ski, we are flying into Beautiful downtown Burbank. No riding for me for a week or so. I can see it now when we are loading up for a convoy down there, "hey, what's with the bike"!
Uh...ever heard of MWR?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Nice airport, Burbank. Not. It's a tiny one. I've seen high school gyms larger than this place. The flight in on approach is pretty cool due to all the nearby hills. I swear the aircraft needs to turn sideways to fit between a couple of them on final. Get a window seat and have your flight scheduled so you land during the day. If you get the chance, rent a car and go see the Reagan Library out in Simi Valley. That's less than an hour drive away, maybe 30 minutes if traffic isn't too bad. It is the coolest thing I have ever seen of that type of venue.
Jerry