tube repair?

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

tube repair?

Post by kdxquebec »

I never had success when I repair a tire tube with a patch. So when I have a Flat I always use a new tube. Now I have a nail in my tube :mad: so maybe it should be easy to repair with a good technique and a good repair kit?

What is the right method to repair a tube and what is the best repair kit to buy...?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

New tube, New tube, NEW TUBE.......................
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Any good tire tube repair kit should work well provided you are not attempting to repair the flat with a "skin" bicycle patch kit.

Right now I have a BELL brand bicycle kit with the thicker patches and a SLIME tire tube patch kit.

1. Identify where the hole or holes are then deflate the tube.
2. Lay the deflated tube flat against a smooth surface and abrade the area around the puncture with the sandpaper or piece of ruffing metal provided for that purpose.
3. Blow off or wipe (with a clean dry rag) the area you just roughed-up. (Do NOT wipe it clean with your hand or used rag due to oil transfer)
4. Apply a layer of the supplied contact cement around the hole and out farther than what the patch will cover.
5. Wait until the contact cement appears to be dry.
6. Peel the colored plastic from the tire patch and place the rubber patch over the hole.
7. Roll a knurled handle of a rachet wrench or something similar over the patch while keeping the tube flat against a smooth backing surface.
8. Let it sit a couple of minutes. You should examine the inner portion of the tire in the area of the puncture. Looking for the nail, brad, thorn, etc which caused the puncture and remove it if it is still embedded in your tire.
9. Stuff the tube back into the - inflate- enjoy!!

Biggest problems I have seen with people fixing flats is:
- not abrading the area around the hole enough or wiping the abraded area with their hands or something which essentially contaminates the surface so the cement will not adhere
- being impatient waiting for the cement to dry - if you attempt to patch the tube before the contact cement is set-up your patch will come loose.
- Some patches have a clear thin plastic skin over one side of the patch and it is sometimes mistaken for the side of the patch which is applied to the contact cement. The side with the clear plastic skin goes UP. The side with the thicker protective covering (which you do peel-off exposing the bonding area of the patch) goes against the dried contact cement.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Thanks a lot for the help!

Philippe
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
GS

Post by GS »

Only thing I can think to add is....

Use EXTREME care not to pinch the tube during reassembly.

Happens WAY too easily and virtually guarantees it WILL LEAK at the site of the pinch, however minor it may appear to be.

Don't ask how I know :?

Greg