can someone give me some info on enduro races?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

can someone give me some info on enduro races?

Post by 2001kdx »

in the next year or 2, i might want to enter some of the races such as enduros and hare scrambles. how long are they on average? will i have a chance with a stock bike? any info would help me, as i have no clue.

thanks
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I've been wondering the same questions for the past couple weeks as well. A few other guys in the CTR are going down to some race in phoenix i believe sometime in december and are trying to get me to go along with them.

Not untill i get some info first.

So please, anyone help us out? :blink:
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

there is a hare scramble in east tn. in dec. i am going to watch and may ride in the next 1 but i need to practice a lot before so i feel more in control rather than having to think about every reaction to my action
06 200H

GALLERY!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I think you need to worry more about bike preparation than performance. Meaning your first objective needs to be finishing the event. So, Loctite everything, seal it up, stuff like that, then the limiting factor is condition of the rider. A lot of the events around me are 65 miles or so. I'm an old guy, and on rough terrain, I'm very tired and making mistakes at 45 miles. The last 20 would be killer for me. I have done a 110 mile day, but that had a lot of high speed trails on it.

After you finish an event, you can work more on the time keeping.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:I've been wondering the same questions for the past couple weeks as well. A few other guys in the CTR are going down to some race in phoenix i believe sometime in december and are trying to get me to go along with them.

Not untill i get some info first.

So please, anyone help us out? :blink:
Basically, a scramble type format (there are several different formats that very with Club and/or designation) is a race where you use a portion or the entire course more than once. In other words, you will run laps. These are all more technical type races than WORCS or SCORE type racing. Typically they will utilize single track trails with some higher speed sections thrown in for a break. They can be set on a time limit, lap limit, or milage limit. Usually, they are 25 to 40 miles.

An Enduro is a time keeping event that is run on tight trails and does not re-use any of the course (no laps). Usually they are from 50 to 100 miles depending on Class. Basically, you have a specific time assigned to you to leave the start line (key time). You have lots of check points (some known…some unknown). You will be given the route and the location of Known checkpoints, resets, fuel, and speed changes for sections. Your goal is to use all this information to reach each check point within your minute. Sorry, that’s about as simple as I can get it without using 3 pages.

A qualifier is similar except without the time keeping. The December FAST'R Coyote Classic race is more of a qualifier event…sort of. :twisted: What's that you ask?

Well, in this case as quoted by their President Geoff...
"The Coyote Classic is going to be setup a little different than a traditional qualifier. It will be run more like a traditional enduro with known controls at the check-ins. We will have transfer sections in between check-outs and the next check-in, but they are going to be very short. We will get everybody back on time and give everybody a chance to rest by placing resets in between tests as well. Since we are setting it up like an enduro, there will be speed averages associated with each section, and therefore there will be a time limit to complete each section/the loop. But unless you have some sort of problem, its really going to come down to your times through the tests"
If I remember, correctly the C's ran about 32 miles last year. It's a fun loop. They had a couple of separate (technical) sections for the A/B course, but mileage was similar. The OCMC race on January 6th, 2007 will be the same format. It will be around 28 miles. The AMRA charter requires Clubs to keep the fastest riders' speeds down to a 20 mph average.

Those CTR folk are pretty cool for uplanders. Come on down and join us flatlanders...you'll have a blast. :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Thanks for the info, it backed up the various bits and peices Ive read and heard so far. I think the CTR are pretty cool as well, im glad they are letting me tag along. :wink: Speaking of which, i saw your name on their email list today, do you come up here often?

Ill see about going down and possibly competing. Ive only been riding for about 1 month but thats been every day in and out for more than 20 miles a day. Lmao, i might just go down and race through to see if i can complete it and possibly see how i do against you flatlanders? :twisted:
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:Thanks for the info, it backed up the various bits and peices Ive read and heard so far. I think the CTR are pretty cool as well, im glad they are letting me tag along. :wink: Speaking of which, i saw your name on their email list today, do you come up here often?

Ill see about going down and possibly competing. Ive only been riding for about 1 month but thats been every day in and out for more than 20 miles a day. Lmao, i might just go down and race through to see if i can complete it and possibly see how i do against you flatlanders? :twisted:
Both my wife and I went to school up there...NAU. I grew up with a buddy whose parents owned a cabin in Mountainaire. We rode all the log roads from Lake Mary Road to Morman to Munds Park and back up to Mountainaire. Never knew about ST back then. I haven't been up to Flag to ride since working a trail day with Keith, buck, eric, "viking" (forgot his real name) and a few others. Once again looks like I've missed riding season in the Northland.

I'm not sure what loops your running...but, I assume running with the "boys" who are talking to you about racing has put you on some pretty technical singletrack. If you can run the entire Airport loop without many stops...you should be fine for the Sportsman class. I know those Flag boys like to come down and ride our trails after shovelling snow from thier driveways. Be more than happy to show you around if you came down prior. (Not of the course. of course...that be cheatin')
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

There is some good beginner information on Enduros HERE and timkeeping HERE.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I live about 1/2 mile away from buck and hes the one ive mostely been riding with unless im alone. Ive ridden mostely the peaks trails. I live in cheshire and i just go over to schultz pass and ride those ST trails. I have ridden the airport loop once a 2 weeks ago. I ate it twice i think and hopped back on. I was following both Dans (i dont know their last names) and they were quite fast. Since then ive tweaked out my KDX and gotten better. Is the course for the December FAST'R Coyote Classic like that of the airport loop?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I didn't read every word of all this post, so if I repeat what someone else says, just take it as confirming good info.
On Enduros:
They are hard. If you don't know what you are getting into, it will ruin your dirtbike/enduro experiance to the point you won't ever try one again.

I recommend starting with a family enduro first. They are geared for youth, but anyone can sign up and ride. Everyone will be more than happy to explain every aspect of the event for you. To sign up, I recommend contacting the sponsoring club of the event. Tell them you've never done an enduro before and you are alone. They will try and set you on a minute with an experianced rider. Maybe even a club member who will try to recruit you!! Ha!

Also, seriously consider the crosscountry races. These are 2 hour long, all out, no time keeping events. You race only people with the same color # plate, so it's easy to tell if you need to pass the guy in front of you or not. They are usually a loop that is traverse 3 or 4 laps and have pit stops for service and your own personal needs.
A full-on enduro is up to 100 miles, is hard enough to challenge the pro riders. (Remember, you are entering the same race the pros are riding, just on a later minute than theirs. Did I say they are hard? )
Best bet is to hook up with someone who's done a race, so you can just follow along and go as fast or slow as they do. Usually by the 3rd check-point, a new rider has houred out anyway.
A family enduro is great fun and it's much cheaper entry too.
Good luck and hope you have a blast!!! I love to ride enduros. I don't know why. Usually when I cross the finish line I'm asking myself just what the hell I was thinking that this kind of torture would be fun, then when I'm back in the pits, drinking a beer and talking to all my new friends, people I didn't even know that morning, about the course, you realize you are part of something special.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!