Body armour good!

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Body armour good!

Post by bradf »

Today is yet another example of how a cuppla hundred $ worth of plastic saved some bacon. My riding buddy and I were the only ones out on the 60 mile enduro course which has a big race this coming Sunday. I waited at a crossroads for 3 minutes and he finally showed up. I could tell something was wrong because the bike sounded different. That was due to a smashed pipe on the left side of his YZ250. He told me that the whoops and a stump had gotten the best of him and he went of course and hit a tree, a small tree but still a well rooted and unmovable tree. His hand guard was pushed way down. He banged his chest protector on the chest, shoulder and arm good 'nuff to scuff it, his pants left knee still had bark ground into it but he had knees/shin guards on and didn't even know his knee hit anything. His visor was cracked almost off and he didn't know his head even hit. His hip got smacked and had a strawberry that bled a little, right where he forgot to put his pads in his pants! Oh, and there was bark in his boot buckles. All in all he fared very well, the pipe is toast and the visor is unfixable but he is fine. His riding buddy (me) gave him the chest protector, the shin/knee guards and the pants with the pads. Yeah I like plastic!
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Visors are fixable.

I use Goop on mine! Well, until it has to be fixed the 'next' time..then I use ReGoop! :wink:

Here Here for hip pads! I forget them once. I found out THAT ride that I will not forget them again.

Glad to hear he's OK.

There is always room for something to happen, and it's GOING to happen when you least expect it.

A couple weeks back a sneaker caught my Tech8'd toe (no, it wasn't hanging down where it should not have been) and snapped it hard enough I didn't have any feeling in it for about 1/2 an hour. ..and Tech8s are pretty hardy boots!

The point is, I absolutely agree and advise, encourage, ask any rider to dress for the crash!

Thanks for the object lesson!!

Say...Doesn't that YZ have a Showa? The Showa is the whoops meow, ain't it? :blink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

His 03 YZ 250 has a KYB shock. Can the crack on the visor be super-glued?
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have repaired my MX son's visors many times with cyanoacrilate (super glue) with accelerant, and epoxy. both work equally crappy. Best remedy is a new visor. If you look you might find them for $10 . He lands on his head 90% of the time so I usually buy 2 at a time.

Yeah, KYB air/oil seperates on his '05 YZ125,awesome suspension on that thing. I can kick the crap out of my KDX on it if the trail has a few open stretches. 33 hp, at under 200 lbs, with great suspension makes a big difference. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220