Stator or Lighting Coil?

Got questions? We got answers....
mandofiddle

Stator or Lighting Coil?

Post by mandofiddle »

High folks,
Well, I'm looking into replacing my lighting coil with a higher wattage one, and I'm a bit confused. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the lighting coil and the stator coil. Can someone please clue me in? The online KDX manual isn't clear on it.

Picture posted for clarification...

Thanks all!

Dave
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

A is the Lighting coil, B is the Ignition coil.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
mandofiddle

Post by mandofiddle »

AWESOME! That's what I suspected. Thank You!

-Dave
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Which one gives the bike a little more grunt off the bottom?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Lighting Coil - A
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Thanks m0rie!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Always the nit picker, but 'B' is the spark excitor coil. The 'ignition coil' is mounted to the frame up by the spark plug.

Glad I could help!

I'm interested in the 'little more grunt' part. That idea has been around for years..and everytime I've seen it mentioned, it's ignored. Just recently does it seem that anyone is paying attention to the suggestion.

It works!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Yeah, I heard Fredette puts in a higher out put coil on all his bikes right away.
I might give it a shot since it is a cheap mod.
Thanks CC :partyman:
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I could probably search but I am lazy. How does a rewound stator increase stall resistance?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'm too lazy to retype so i'm going to copy and paste something I wrote a while ago:

There is some magic interaction that happens with a larger lighting coil and the magnetic field that is generated that as a side effect gives a little bit more low end pull and (more importantly) greatly improved stall resistance. Times when the bike should just die it lugs on back up to spin again. Fredette puts a aftermarket coil on each of his bikes for this very reason. Its a small but noticable gain.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It does all sound like FM..and it likely is. M0rie is right about it working.

I kind'a figured (read: Thought up out of the clear blue sky) that the flux field would get a 'dent' in it as it spun past the larger lighting coil, and the 'rebound' of the field would happen just about the time it flew past the ignition excitor.

There are flywheels (like RickyStator's Banshee piece) that have stronger magnets in them for increased output. He uses them in conjuntion with his 200W (OMGosh!) Banshee lighting kit. Like some dual sport jobs, that stator has multiple coils, counterwound in succession to get a higher wattage output.

I've not seen a KDX flywheel with that setup. Not likely anyone would bother with making one. Who rides a KDX these days anyway? :sad:

Sort of like 3-phase AC compared to single phase. Same voltage output from each coil but those outputs are stacked next to each other. The load doesn't get the chance to decay the supply before it's smacked again with another sine wave.

How about a couple of those little 1-farad caps patched in. Wonder how that would work.....

Here's another BTW for 'ya. Gap your plug a bit wide. You can feel the difference between .026-8" and a healthy .030". I haven't tried that with an ES, but the EG handles it fine.

..when your bike gets hard to start..check that plug to make sure it's not grown to .035"! THAT will tucker you out (kciking it)!!

BTW...that engine doesn't have much of a frame wrapped around it. What'cha doing to it?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!