what rear tire do you run?

Got questions? We got answers....
Sky.A

what rear tire do you run?

Post by Sky.A »

Ive talked to some folks and they say certain tires are too heavy for the KDX 200 . Im looking at getting the metezler mc 4 110/100-18 for my bike havent seen this tire in real life is it a heavy tire? or are these fellas telling wives tales bout tires any other suggestions on tires would be helpful or other tires that comprable or better then the aforementioned tire?TIA
Kauai Boy 04 kdx 200
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I mounted a Maxxis IT Desert just yesterday. Probably the heaviest tire (with the stoutest sidewall) available for the low-low price of $50 at http://www.americanmototire.com/

So heavy that I had the boys at Walmart Lube & Tire do the dirty work.

I'll let you know how much I suffer. :mrgreen:

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: what rear tire do you run?

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Sky.A wrote:Ive talked to some folks and they say certain tires are too heavy for the KDX 200 . Im looking at getting the metezler mc 4 110/100-18 for my bike havent seen this tire in real life is it a heavy tire? or are these fellas telling wives tales bout tires any other suggestions on tires would be helpful or other tires that comprable or better then the aforementioned tire?TIA
You'll be fine with any 110/100-18. Some have even run the 120 tires. MC-4 is a good tire.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Depends on the terrain you ride. That's your first question.

Secondly, what tires are others running where you ride?

I have never heard of a tire that was too heavy for a KDX and I don't think that should even be a question. How much difference could there be between two different tires? A couple pounds maybe?

I do think your better off running the 110 profile tire vs the 120 and I don't think a 130 will fit.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Sky.A

heavy in the sence of that the bike dosent

Post by Sky.A »

have enough power to pull it. That s what a fella says. the terrain ill be riding is id call a mediuem terrain with some hard pack,powdery stuff roots and some mud roots and of course rocks
Kauai Boy 04 kdx 200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I run an MC5. The thing grips like velcro gloves to a sheep. :blink: I couldn't even do donuts in the sandpit where I ride, it just gripped and tried to flip me off the back. I'm running a 110 and there is no difference to any other tire weight wise that is noticable to me. I know some hardcore riders who were avid S12 users until using the MC5 and MC6, they now swear there ain't no going back.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I believe Skipro ran a IRC M5B on his 220

I've never seen a bigger, badder tire than that
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

I've got the MC4 front and rear (110). Running them all season with no problems to report and they do hook quite well in the soft stuff. My usual terrain sounds similar to what you've described. Metzeler does make an intermediate tire too -- MC5, I believe. Bought them from americanmototire.com for the best price.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!