Got a KDX Today!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Got a KDX Today!!!

Post by Jeb »

After lots of looking in different directions for different things, I drove into Ohio and bought an '03 220 this afternoon. Man, I was psyched the whole drive up (3 hours). Rode it around a bit. He had it in storage a while in a "winterized" condition (his words: transmission full of oil, a little oil squirted down the sparky hole, and gas drained) and only had this morning to prep it so I need to give it a little TLC. All stock except for Renthal bars and Enduro Engineering hand guards.

It started on the second kick. It didn't want to run well at low rpms - kinda would chug-chug, sort of in a rythm. When opened up it cleared up. It wouldn't idle well - again, that chug-chug rythm and then it would eventually die. Started right back up, no problem, give it some gas and seemed OK. I rode it with the choke on and at the low end it helped a little but when you opened her up it smoked a lot. When she warmed up good the issues dissipated a little but still there.

A good carb cleaning? I'm thinking the PJ is fouled. Thought?

ANYHOW . . . . awesome torque!! Great feel to the bike, beats my TTR all around. I can see where the rev pipe would help after winding her up - flattens out up there.

Going ridin' tomorrow afternoon!!

Great to be a KDX owner!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Congrats! If it really is stock, you have some jetting to do. Cleaning the carb is a good idea to make sure you're starting without a problem. The chugging when it's warming up is normal though. You really don't know what you have till it's good and hot, like been running under load for 10 minutes or more.

Since it's a 220, you should do 3 things right off. 1) Send the head to RB designs to be modded. 2) send the carb to RB designs to have the magic done, and 3) get a rev pipe on it.

Those 3 things will really make it come alive as far as power goes. I'm assuming the previous owner swapped out the dangerously light springs in the front. Beyond that, you might look into putting KX forks on it. That really makes the bike handle much better.

Have fun with it!
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No... first thing is put a Wiseco piston in it! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Thanks guys.

Jetting recommendations for stock? I would eventually figure it out - maybe it's better to do it that way to learn the bike - but what's typical? I'm in the Ohio River Valley so no real elevation but it is starting to get cooler.

As far as that Wiseco goes- I'll do that soon. I don't believe this guy rode this bike that much (I can tell mostly by the wear marks on the frame and shifter/brake pedal). Assuming the tolerances on the piston are OK, I shouldn't have to hone the bore, right? I remember years ago using a pin puller - anybody got any creative ideas on removing the pins or am I stupid for even asking?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

I did the Wiseco on my 220 and didn't use anything special to get the clips or pin out. You're certainly not going to re-use the clips so a small flat screwdriver works fine. Make sure you don't drop the clip into the bottom end! As far as getting the pin out, I took out one clip and then pushed the pin out with a small punch (just a little bit of pressure got it out no problem). While I was in there I replaced the bearing with a Wiseco for a few extra dollars.

Make sure you pay attention to the markings on the new piston and have the correct end pointing forward. Also make sure the oiling holes are there -- or you'll need to drill them. Once you're running again, follow the break-in procedure. This is a forged piston and requires several heat cycles of running and cooling. There's a huge debate on this method but I went with what the manufacturer recommended.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Yes the piston should be replaced. Cometic makes great gaskets. The total for piston kit and gaskets is about $130. When you get around to doing just about anything there are threads here to read that give a lot of info on just about everything. Like do a search here concerning the cylinder nut special tool. Also search for frame and bearing lube info.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Cleaned the carb, much better. After thoroughly warmed the bike runs fine!

My son and I went out to a local motopark. We spent a majority of the time on a beginner/intermediate level mx track (racked up over 42 miles on that track, compliments of my handy-dandy trip meter). I really started "using" the bike about the last hour of riding. The power on this thing is perfect for me (for now - rev pipe and RB mods once I get the hang of it stock). Peppy but certainly containable. It actually took a little while to get used to it having rode the TTR all summer. I finally convinced my future RC to hit the trails. This bike pulls hills just fine! I got bogged down once in third on one of the steeper hills (not paying attention), mild panic, dropped it into second, a little clutch and hit the throttle pretty good . . . picked right up, front wheel off the ground a little but I had CONTROL. Suspension's not bad (worlds better than the TTR).

I'm very happy with this bike!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds like you got a bike that was rarely ridden. Glad you got it all sorted out. Just wait until you uncork it.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Sounds like you got a bike that was rarely ridden. Glad you got it all sorted out. Just wait until you uncork it.... :wink:
??? Inda, what about what I wrote made it sound like the bike was rarely ridden? How will things change as I ride the pee out of it?

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

??? It was winterized all ready? I guess the guy just gave it up for the Kazoo eh?

Uncork - as in take the restrictive crap off and do the modifications. Not riding the pee out of it will change anything... Where did YOU get that out of what I said?!? :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

grump99

Post by grump99 »

Congratulations! The kdx is a great bike, you will love it!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:??? It was winterized all ready? I guess the guy just gave it up for the Kazoo eh?

Uncork - as in take the restrictive crap off and do the modifications. Not riding the pee out of it will change anything... Where did YOU get that out of what I said?!? :neutral:
Forget it, I misunderstood ya, thought you were replying to the comments on the performance of the bike . . . never mind!! :grin:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he didn't ride it much. He said he rode it this past spring a couple of times and then put it in storage (no explanation why). He actually said he DIDN'T even ride it last year, said he believes he's got no more than 250 miles on it. Incredible, there's not very much wear on the frame and brake/shift levers - I've got nearly as much wear on the TTR. I see a few spots of rust on the seams of the pipe (oh well it's getting replaced anyway) and a few spots of rust on the chain, I'd say all from being idle and not being touched. One of the side caps that cover the swingarm bearing must have popped off yesterday because I remember seeing it before and there's a substantial amount of grease in there, in aggreement with the previous owners comment that during the first year he lubed all the "bone dry" points on the bike.

I started it up today so my wife could hear the "whisper quiet" note (the TTR minus the baffle is a bit noisier!) - started first kick!! I'd say it's back out of winter mode.

I'll be fiddling around with the airbox and jetting soon. I might just order the rev pipe now so I'm ready when I wanna make the swap.

CLICK FOR PICS!