expansion / muffler rubber seal

Got questions? We got answers....
crazybrit

expansion / muffler rubber seal

Post by crazybrit »

Mine was torn and (post replacing the expansion chamber -- put a massive dent in it and rendered the bike unrideable) is now a lot more torn. Anyone come up with an innovative replacement/fix or am I buying a new $20.00 piece of rubber?

Also, where exactly on the join does it fit? It should be obvious but I'm leaking spooge so I'm not sure if I have it installed in not quite the correct position or it's leaking because of the tear (expansion chamber side). Can anyone post a pic to aid the clueless.

This is the stock expansion chamber / muffler.

Tony
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I don't use it at all. I use Permatex 77 Blue or Copper. They can both take the heat, especially the copper. I have never had a leak either.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I stuffed the rubber part with silicon and made a nice bead around it. So far it does not leak spooge.
If yours is really torn, you can try to slide a piece of inner tube from a bicycle tire, silicon it and zip ties, should stop the spooge. (never tried it but should work pretty well.)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I just went to an auto shop with my rubber thingy in hand. I asked for a car radiator hose with the same I/D. I paid him $10 and made 5 of them out of it. BTW MaKaw wanted $40AU for it. :evil:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."