Showa on my KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'm with Indawoods - why cut the shaft if you can just adjust the length with spacers?? Wonder if there is a dead space volume oil concern (hydrolock) or something like that JW is concerned with.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

He may have put in a spacer, I don't know.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Jeremy says there is a spacer in there, no cutting. There is also a proprietary piston and shims stack, all new. Now if I could just get out and ride sometime...
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Showa Shock Ride Report

Post by bradf »

The MX-Tech Showa is significantly better on the high speed whoops and hits. I tested on my favorite stretch of track of 1/4 to 1/2 mile of 3rd and 4th gear whoops that would send the KDX shock/rear all over the place, hopping side to side, bottoming and all around hairy ass ride. The Showa was so good that I didn't even know the rear was there. The rear didn't give hardly any feedback at all. I was going way faster than I ever had before on the 4th run where I held it in 4th and would pin it every now and then to keep the front up. The rear would track so straight and with so little movement that all I had to do was concentrate on the front. My riding buddy got off his 03 YZ250, suspension done by Factory Connection set up for our area, and took it for a run...2...3...4. After 4 runs he finally brought it back. His opinion is that it is plush and stable, actually very comfortable compared to his ride. He is sending his forks to MX-Tech now cuz they are harsh and the adjusters are all the way out. I did a couple of adjustments to the HS, 2 clicks harder, 4 clicks softer, then 1 harder. I got back to the starting point and left it. On one run I actually was going so fast in 4th through the whoops that I got a little scared. I know I was going way faster than ever cuz I had never pinned it and held it in 4th before on this one stretch. My predicament was that if I slowed down I might case a whoop going way to fast, so I held on like a real tard. I made it through and not once did the rear twitch. Well my rear twitched and puckered something fierce, but the bike was on a rail. I am a very crappy hamper!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good to hear!

A bike that runs right, one you can trust is a LOT more enjoyable to ride!!

Have a crappy time hamping!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

You might want to tell your buddy to ride an '05 or '06 YZ before he sinks any more money into the forks. The newer ones are a huge improvement over the older ones. He might do a fork swap, or just go to the newer bike if he races. The aluminum frame handles well, and the bike is lighter.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Inda....Here ya go. http://www.burrellpowersports.com/ Yeah, he's right on US51 on the very south side of town...Kinda accross the street from the TSC...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Does anyone know if the 1999 KX125 KYB shock has high speed adjustment ?? Is 50 bux US an alright price for a good unit ?? I ride alot of whooped out sand and think that rather than sink more money into the stock KDX shock I might as well go the KX/RM route. Any advise or help is very much appreciated TIA...

Cheers,
Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."