brake pads

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

brake pads

Post by scheckaet »

help!
Please don't laugh (at least not too hard), I tried to replace my rear break pads and there was this weird thing on the stock pads. (see pics)
I assume it's some kind of heat protection or something.
My issue is that when I put it with the new pads, there is not enough space for the disc :?
(I pushed the calipers as far as it would go)
What is it for? Do I need to keep them? I am sure without them it would go.
thx :prayer:

Wilf

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/s ... G_1898.jpg
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's an asbestos pad... (or a reasonable facsimely there of )

It helps keep you brake fluid from boiling.

You probably ride mainly flat lands right? You probably don't need it at all. CC could make good use of it being in the mountains and the long down hills.

I don't have anything like that on mine and they work fine.

Did you use a C clamp to push the piston in?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

They will fit...if you don't have the clips of the retainer in the way..if you don't have the EXtended life type pads. They ARE too thick.

I don't know that its primary purpose is as a heat shield. I don't know that is NOT true, either. Makes sense, though. I've figured it could be an equivalent of Disc Quiet...an adhesive used on automotive pads to reduce/prevent noise.

I've run pads with the fiber shields and without it. I've moved the metal and fiber pieces to my new pads until the metal clips give out. They have always fit.

I determined that pad life without the fiber pads used was considerably shorter. Lately I've been using OEM pads. They come as an 'assembly' that includes the fiber pad and the metal backing plate. The OEM pads have worked better for me than the EBCs (sintered..I've not tried their newer MXS pads).

Or...a mix of the two. Use the pad/backing plate until it won't fit anymore (broken clips), order some OEM pads. After they're worn out..re-use THOSE pad/plates on some EBCs for awhile.

Use a c-clamp as Inda suggested. Use caution during the process. Squeezing the peewah out of it is NOT necessary. If you have added fluid over the course of the pad's life you will have to take the master cylinder cap off and remove some fluid to allow enough room for the fluid you displace when you push the piston back into the caliper.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I was able to push it by hand and pliers. I can't push it any more.
I'll see how it works without it, I ride on flat (center of oklahoma....) so boiling should not be an issue.
I determined that pad life without the fiber pads used was considerably shorter. Lately I've been using OEM pads. They come as an 'assembly' that includes the fiber pad and the metal backing plate.
When the pads are worn out enough, I'll put the metal clip back on and see if it makes a difference (on braking and longevity)

Thanks for your help :prayer:

Wilf
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I was able to push it by hand and pliers. I can't push it any more.

*Check the MC res. Make sure that isn't where the resistance is coming *from.

I'll see how it works without it, I ride on flat (center of oklahoma....) so boiling should not be an issue.

*I've seen my rotor turn blue from heat. Yeeow!!

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

me too. noticed that after my brake fluid boiled and funny enough, after that I had as much braking action as a dragon fly exerts on a landing 747 as it splatters on the windshield. :blink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I am sure without them it would go
Guess what ... it don't fit :sad: :evil:
I know it's stoopid but any way I can grind them (on either side)? :blink:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It doesn't count quoting yourself..and then replying to yourself. :hmm:

No. You cannot grind them.

Yes. Of course you can :evil: , but of course that would be stoopid, and you don't want to be THAT.

Repeat (for fun, I guess), they WILL FIT, taking into account what's already been said.

If they do NOT fit, taking into account what's already been said, please do not modify them to make them fit.

1. Take into account everything that's been said.

2. What are the numbers on the package the pads came in. Something like FA152X or the like. Maybe you have the wrong pads.

3. You CAN use them without the fiber pad.

4. If you want to do it up right, let's start with (dare I say taking into account what's been said..too much fluid (take the cap off), fully seat the piston in the caliper (make sure it's not getting sideways in the caliper), and post the part/model number of the pads you are using.

You can either have patience with 'em and get it done right, or you can force something (or grind on 'em) and be real sorry.

So..about that part number....

Oh..and the brand of pad?

Thanks!

Consider the source