helping my buddy buy a bike from the shop

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

helping my buddy buy a bike from the shop

Post by 2001kdx »

ok my friend is gonna buy a dirtbike for some enduro events. he used to have an xr 200 but he wants a top class bike. here are his choices:
ktm 300 xc-w
yamaha wr 450
dr-z 400
we dont have a kawi dealer around here and he says a kdx is too small because he is 6 4 245 lbs
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

uh, if he likes 2 strokes, I vote for the KTM. :roll:
If he likes 4 strokes, the KTM would be a poor choice. :wink: In that case I would take the WR, or wait a year and get the KLX450.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: helping my buddy buy a bike from the shop

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
2001 kdx 200 good bike wrote:ok my friend is gonna buy a dirtbike for some enduro events. he used to have an xr 200 but he wants a top class bike. here are his choices:
ktm 300 xc-w
yamaha wr 450
dr-z 400
we dont have a kawi dealer around here and he says a kdx is too small because he is 6 4 245 lbs
** I get the first two for enduro's, but not the DRZ. Don't get me wrong. The DRZ is an ok bike...for dual sport. But, it's a big heavy pig. As far a the KDX being two small...it's a definatley a top class bike compared to an XR200. It would be no problem to pull his 6' 4" 245lb frame around an enduro course.

As far as the other bikes in the market...It's hard to beat KTM's line up. They are actually trying to produce bikes with the offroad/enduro rider in mind. Although I prefer the 250 power characteristics, the 300 is a good bike. Great low end with tons of linear power. Lot's of good set up info on KTM talk. KTM also has a good line up of 4T's. 250, 400, 450, 525 all set up with the enduro rider in mind.

The Jap manufacturers have put us offroad riders on the sideline. They have all been totally eco-ized (i know---I just made that word up) in their pathetic (and demeaning) attempt to fulfill the offroad/enduro market.

Out of their sad offerings, the WR is probably the best and most reliable bike. I have a personal dislike for Honda...but that's my issue. The CRFX has been a decent bike. It did not suffer from the same issues as it's high strung brother. The KLX appears to be another contender, but first year reliabilty from any manufacturer has been suspect.

Husky offers a sweet WR250 two stroke and a 450 four stroke. Both are proven reliable bikes. However, Husky's parts support is extremely limited. Aftermarket support is even worse.

There is always the option of picking up a MX bike (2 or 4 stroke) and converting it to offroad/enduro.

All of the above bikes are going to be worlds different from his XR200.
Good Luck!

**Everthing in this post is an OPINION of the poster and may not reflect the opinion of others or the owner of this site!
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

I had an 01 DRZ400. They are great for the two track jeep roads or smooth forest type trails, etc. Get it into sand and more specifically, sand whoops, and your asking for it. Unless you like to be pounded the bike is too heavy for serious off roading.

I had an "S" version that I shaved 30lbs off of, removed the turn signals, installed the kicker kit, removed battery and speedo computer, mirrors, plastic tank, etc. Did all of the motor mods possible with the exception of a big bore kit.

It is a shame that the bike is useless for going "fast" off road, the motor was so good and was perfect in every way (after the mods) I was so sore and worn out from a casual off road ride that I sold it in 2005. Great bike for street, motard, smooth trails, etc. I never had one break down from it in the 4000 miles I put on it. Oh yeah, the battery was too small for the motor, hence the kicker kit, other than the batt. she was good to go.

Go with something designed for the off road then if you can, get a tag for it too.
FAZ
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's quite a jump... he is in for an eye opener if he gets the KTM... you'll be taking him home... hurting.

The WR would be a darn good step up and he should be able to handle it if he's that big but they can suprise you too....

Just plain forget about DR.... Bailey is right... great bikes but just not made for any serious offroading.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Xr200 to any KTM would be like Toyota Corrolla to Honda S2000

It would take me at least a year of riding the 300 to make that transition, of course he'll have to put in some serious seat time if he wants to finish an enduro, in any case.

I wouldn't wish a DRZ on anyone who wanted to ride on anything but jeep trails

Karl
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy