fouling plugs

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

fouling plugs

Post by 2001kdx »

can someone help me i put new plugs in my bike every ride. im running number 8 plugs. i ride some slow rpm stuff, with some track riding, pretty mixed and i dont see how a colder/warmer plug would benefit
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jetting.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

This is what Jeff freddette recommends MAYBE it is a good starting point for you.I dont know...and with also a little hit on the shearch button option :wink:

http://www.frpoffroad.com/kdxposed/engineTips.aspx
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

i cant do that. i dont even see how i could have that done. i bought the bike a few months ago, and it had a tc2 silencer, probably without jetting change. thats all i could think of.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What size jets are in the bike now?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

most likely factory jetting.
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Change the jets, its easy and will fix your problems!
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

First you need to know what jets are in YOUR bike. After maybe people will help you.

Remove the carb from your bike and check inside.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

These guys are just plain green.

The KDX fouls plugs every ten minutes. It's in the service manual. It's supposed to do it, they all do, you can't fix it!!

...Buy a box of plugs!

Just kidding. It's a jetting issue. No one can tell you how to jet because bikes, riders, environs and conditions differ too hugely for someone to tell you via email what jetting to run. Close, maybe, but you (being the rider) are the one that has to sort it out.

#1. The '8' heat range plug is the correct heat range. Do not change the heat range to 'correct' (cover up) a jetting problem.

What you need to know now: Main jet, pilot jet, needle and clip position. It would be helpful to know if your slide has been modified or not, but probably not.

Remove the carb from the bike. Take the fuel bowl off. The main jet is the brass thing with the hole thingy in the middle of it you're looking at. The pilot is up inside the carb body, accessed up a hole just forward of where the main jet is. Take it out with a small (1/8") screwdriver. Both the main and the pilot will have numbers stamped on them. You're looking for something like a 15x or 16x number on the main, and a 4x on the pilot.

When you put the jets back in, keep in mind they are small and made of brass (soft!). You can break them in a heartbeat if you have no sense of what 'tight' is. Don't lose the washer under the main jet, if there is one. If you have to ask what 'under' means..and how come it's not 'on top of'...don't!

Check the float level. That process is in your manual. Basically, set the floats to about a 16mm drop from the main body when the float tang just touches the float needle pin. DO NOT adjust with the floats RESTING on the float needle pin.

Good ballpark guess: Adjust the float mold lines to be parallel to the carb body flange.

Amen.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 06:00 pm Oct 05 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: Don't lose the washer under the main jet. If you have to ask what 'under' means..and how come it's not 'on top of'...don't!
There is a washer under the main jet?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

To tell the truth, I was thinking of a Mikuni when I wrote that.

The PWK Keihin main jet does thread directly into the needle jet, right?

Edited anyway..don't lose it if there is one. It usually stays stuck in the body pretty good (if there is one). If it does get sideways and you don't catch it, you're gonna have a problem.

Consider the source

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

As if CC's post aren't confusing enough for a newby, he has to throw in "the washer". :lol:

Has anyone metioned jetting yet? :wink: All the info is here somewhere. Also, most here will help share the mystical jetting knowledge...but, info is needed first. Current jetting, riding altitude and temps, mods to the bike.

I've never fouled a plug in the 2+ years I owned the KDX and the year of owning the KX. I'm not the most patient person...I'd rather spend my limited riding time...well, um, riding not jetting. If I can get the jetting close enough to not blow up the bike, yet keep the plug from fouling...ANYONE can do it! :blink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:hmm:

What's the confusement part?

Sorry. Sometimes I do confusticate the issue, but I try to rectumfriar it later.

If that's a possibilitude anyway.

Consider the source