Moose swingarm bearing "shims?"

Got questions? We got answers....
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Moose swingarm bearing "shims?"

Post by strider80 »

I bought a set of moose swingarm bearings (I know I know, chinese) and they can with 4 thin round shim/washers that look like they are supposed to go between the seals and frame or swingarm and engine. The bike did not have them originally. Anyone know what they are?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'm searching my mind but I think they go between the bearing and the seal.

I say this because I had some Pivot Works bearing kit that I was installing on a bike and they had the thin shims. I forgot how I figured out where they went (maybe it was in the instructions) but I'm 95% sure that in my application they went in the outer side of each swing arm bearing PRIOR to installing the related seal.

EDIT - Forget the above - CC's thread is likely 100% correct.
Last edited by IdahoCharley on 08:50 am Oct 04 2006, edited 1 time in total.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I was informed not to use them as they are for KX's from memory. I'll search and see what I can find.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ht=washers
canyncarvr wrote:

The four washers are quite thin, right? They are used in KX250s between the pull rods and the knuckle/swingarm. They are not used in an OEM 'H' model KDX. Ha!...the bolts are too short as it is! The KX250 bolt shoulders are considerably longer. I use them..KX250..bolts in my 'H' unitrack with my Devol pull rods with those washers.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Thanks Trev! I got all the linkage and swingarm bearings installated last night, what a pain! I don't look forward to ever doing that again. My old bearings were all pretty shot (looked like yours the other thread), with the shock bearing being totally grenaded and a screwed up rocker arm. Hopefully with lots of good grease they will last awhile.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm confused.

Well, (whew) at least something is normal.

The shims I was talking about go on the knuckle if you use KX style bolts..like on Devol pull rods. Not the swingarm.

The kit you got may well 'fit' different models. Cheaper to make one kit fit different bikes than to make kits specific to every model.

No reason to replace washers/shims. If your bike didn't have 'em...don't worry about it.

It's been awhile..and I didn't look it up...but the 'H' model DOES have some sort of washer/spacer setup in the swingarm...right? You could see 'em easy enough at the buykawi site, or in your manual.

If I wasn't lazy, I'd look in my manual. But...your bike is already back together, so...too late now anyway!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I bought both the swingarm and linkage bearings from moose, so I am actually not sure what kit they came in. I looked in my manual, but did not see any shims, and I don't remember taking any out. I will check buykawi too. Thanks.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Checked buykawi, no shims to be seen. Bike goes back together tomorrow for a mountain ride on Saturday hopefully (Taneum Junction outside Cle Elm, WA). Maybe we will see some snow.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)