Fuel....

Got questions? We got answers....
motorhed220

Fuel....

Post by motorhed220 »

Anyone know if a KDX can run 103 octaine fuel? The reason i ask is becasue me and a frined plan to split the cost of a 20 gallon drum of 115 octaine gas, and mix each gas can with 1/3 115 octaine, and 2/3 94 octaine. This would be ABOUT 103, or something, nothing exact at this point...And what about HIGH octain fuel at all? Can this be done?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Unless you have a very high compression ratio you don't need that high of an octane. I could see a few extra points to guard against possible pre-detonation though. Pre-detonation is evil bad and silent. All the extra octane will not give you more power but can affect throttle response in a negative way, depending on the fuel mixture.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This is on Inda's recent fuel thread, but fits here too:

'Octane rating is in no way correlated with engine power or efficiency. There is more potential energy in a gallon of diesel fuel than a gallon of gasoline, yet the diesel fuel has a much lower octane value.'

If you're looking for more power from your bike, consider toluene or xylene.

Mixing fuel is a pretty iffy thing. The chemistry behind the whole thing is awesome to me.

The question is, why are you doing this? What are you after?

Oh...I've read that diesel octane is something like 15-25! Yep...and it runs in 22:1 static compression engines!! And they turbo/supercharge THAT!

Yes. I do know how it is that works.

Ha! Try running 15-25 octane fuel in a gas engine at HALF that mechanical compression ratio and the thing would blow up in your face!

Fun with crackin' hydrocarbons!! :grin:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

no, i was thinkin cost factor, up here, you can buy MORE "race" gas in larger quantities, at cheaper prices then in small amounts. So me and a buddy were gunna split the cost of a 20 gallon drum, AND split the fuel as well. it would kinda be cheap was hell in the long long run...I think... :rolleyes:
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Look forward to the full report! ;)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Well 20 gals of race gas split two way still isn't as cheap as straight pump gas! YOu will gain a slight amount of throttle response maybe giving a false indication of more power. Throttle response is a good thing, but at what cost? You will lose peak power. Save the $ over the long run for a RB carb mod to give you great throttle action all the time...,
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Adding a little tolulene is the better way to go......Read the other hot post on this...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project