Could my chain be the problem?

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Could my chain be the problem?

Post by Ryan »

I have been riding my bike alot and my friend finally got his bike working. It is a 1968 honda xr200. He just had a new top end, pretty much brand new everything put in, plus an extra $400 to get the thing to run really well. Crazy i know... Anyway, he wanted to drag race me and so we did. I would say the race wasnt too long. Enough maybe to be in 6th gear at full speed for about 5 seconds. When we started i let him start the race. When i saw him start to go i would go too. I started in second as i do when i race. The strange thing was, he kept up with me. Up untill 6th gear or 5th gear he was right there next to me. Now i am good at shifting, so i know that isnt my problem. But he was right next to me the whole time!!!!! When i got into 5th and 6th i killed him but it was the part before that worries me. The only thing i could think that i havent replaced is my chain? Could this really be the problem?? My adjusters are on 9 so i need a new chain and sprockets soon, but will a new chain really help that much?

Also, as the temp gets colder the jetting gets what? Do i need to richen or lean the jets? It is starting to get below 65 and i had it jetted for about 75-80. So i figure i need to do something soon. I switched to a 2 stroke oil i really like, i think it is called Motorex. It is their synthetic race oil. I really like it. It makes the bike almost never smoke, unless i am ramping on the throttle.

Just curious, what gear should i be able to hit wheelies in>? I cant get it up past 2nd gear. if i try in 3rd it wont do it.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your in need of some jetting my man. No one can tell you what to put in there so it time to learn how to jet.

Read this! http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1156

There is no way that bike should have been anywhere near you! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

The first XR200 showed up in 1980. Maybe you meant 1986?? The biggest single that Honda made in 1968 was a 90cc.
'95 200H
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ya i meant 86. Sorry
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

You definately have some issues with your bike Ryan most likely jetting. :shock:

The XR 200s did give the KDX and IT 175s of that era a run but given equal weights and riders ability the KDX or IT would pull the XR 200s. THEN there was the hugh KDX update to liquid cooling and an engine redesign - power jumped 10 HP or so on the KDX and remained essentually unchanged on the air cooled XR 200.

Your bike still has some issues. MOST LIKELY JETTING :wink:

You were not clear in this thread - Are you worried that an X-ring or O-ring chain is sucking away your power? If so - and your chain is adjusted properly there is no way in this world that the difference in chains is consuming ~ 10 HP advantage that your bike should have. MOST LIKELY A JETTING ISSUE :roll:

A thread a couple of months ago you talked about fouling plugs when running in upper throttle openings (as I recall) - That is typically a sign of running TOO RICH!!!!!!!! Your bike has to be able to 'sing' to keep the pipe hot and you in the power band. MOST LIKELY JETTING :roll:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine