desert pipe, is it worth the money?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

desert pipe, is it worth the money?

Post by 2001kdx »

ok i was wondering if the aftermarket fmf desert pipe is enough to merit the $230 price tag. i try to ride almost every day, and i already have the snorkel removed, and a powercore 2 silencer. does it give more mid range, and does it make my low end worse?
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Either the desert or woods pipe will significantly increase the output from the kdx 200. Yes they are worth it unless the only thing you do is putt around with people riding XR 100s and TTR 125s or CRF 150s. Money well spent!!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Properly rejetted and with some decent reeds your low end loss will be minimal. The mid and top end gains will more than make up for it.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Although I know that a torque pipe is not recommended for my '03 220R, but, alas, that is what I have (PC Platinum II), and if it give me *some* low end bounce, it's probably worth it since I'm still kinda suckie.

I've yet to have anyone *quantify* the differences between a woods and a desert pipe in the 220R.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

By "qualify" you need to lay out the rules...

Woods... more bottom/Mid ( no loss on top from stock)
Desert... more mid/top (a little less on the bottom)

The 220 doesn't need any more bottom IMHO.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:By "qualify" you need to lay out the rules...

the torque pipe doesnt take from the top end?
sounds sweet.
i was climbing a gnarly 1st gear hill today, and i was thinking the torque pipe might make things easier.
will it pull a gear higher?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not on a stock setup.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

By "qualify" you need to lay out the rules...
Well, ackshully, I said, "quantify." :mrgreen:

I'd even take semi-quantitative since I'm unlikely to bump into anyone who's dynoed the question for me.
Are you saying the above applies to a modded '03 220? Mine was modded by QuailChaser. Squish for 91 octane pump gas, RB carb, old Answer silencer, Boysen reeds, sucky rider. How much bottom/mid would you suspect I'd gain with the Woods vs the Desert pipe?
Says you, bub. You've not experienced my suckiness first hand. Ask anybody, I can use whatever I can get. :please:

Rick
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sure... it's all about pulse. None of your mods change that except the pipe.
The difference should be noticable. It's quantilicious!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

So, essentially, for my current state of suckiness (that often finds me one, or even two, gears too high and often forgetting that there is a lever on the left grip), the torque pipe isn't such a bad deal -- for me, right now, in Fall 2006.

So, with the woods pipe instead of the desert pipe, I get some bottom and mid increase (tho not nearly the benefit that a 200 would get) and my torque-piped 220 runs out of steam up in a rev range which I rarely find a need, or have the skill, to use.

Cool.

I ride tight ST with a bunch of fat, out of shape, middle-aged, and wickedly fast dudes. If they ever get me on a *really* long jeep trail, my 73 mph top speed (13/50 sprockets) will have to do. :shock:

Rick
I wallow in suckiness
Last edited by AZRickD on 11:14 pm Sep 30 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Find that SSS on the RB'd carb and leave it there!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I've found the first sweet spot (about 7/8th turn out). The Second Sweet Spot has eluded me.

By the time my bike is warmed up for the morning ride (warm enough to fiddle with the screw), everyone wants to take off, so I dial it back down to 7/8th in a rush and head out after them.

Does the second one mo-bettah characteristics compared to the first one?

Rick
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

For what your after.... it's what you need to find. It makes the bike electric....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Okay. After re-reading my jetting notes, I'm going to seak out the SSS which should be somewhere around 1.75 turns at Phoenix October temps. I'll tweak it as best I can tomorrow morning.

Rick
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Sounds like for your riding the Torque pipe is what you want (and have). Work on the SSS when you've got the time. You have a extended airscrew on that carby right? What needle and clip is currently in the carb?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Yes, I have the magic screw.

The modded RB carb is set up with 150main/CEK-3/38pilot. This works for me in all but the hottest weather. When it's 115F (95 in the morning), I'm using a 148/35 set up with the same CEK-3. When it turns into a chilly 40F in the winter mornings, I'll likely go with a 152/40. I might keep the CEK and move the clip to 4, or go with a DEK. I'll ask the former owner (QuailChaser) when the time comes.

This morning, weather was a cool 72F at 6am at 136th Street & Dynamite in north-north-east-east Scottsdale.

As usual, I barely had enough time to warm up the KDX, so I started it at 1.75 turns out (from my usual 7/8th). I headed out with the group and in another mile or so the Trail Tech Vapor said my water temp and the bike was nicely warm at ~150F.

The throttle was responding well. Really well. The bike revved quickly and higher. Unfortunately, my rear tire is nearly knobbiless (thread depth = ~0.24 inch by caliper). So, I was slippin' and wheel spinnin' all over the place. A new Maxxis Desert IT is on order.

I find it odd (in a good way) that the SSS makes the throttle more responsive while both increasing *and* smoothing out the power. I spent more time in a higher gear with less negative fallout from being low on revs.

On the downside, I'm riding with some fast folks so I find myself pushing myself and improving (I'm not to the downside yet). I actually found that I was hitting high-rev dead spot more than usual (on tight ST, no less), so in another year or so, I might have to go with a Rev pipe. :partyman:

Okay, I guess that's not a downside either. :boogie:

Thanks for the help.

Rick
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That SSS makes it just like a 4 stroke. I love riding in that position on the nasty stuff... it doesn't matter if your a gear higher, it just moto's on through....

Sounds like you found it... better get ya a good tire!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Just my 2 cents, I have a 220 with the usual (mandatory) mods, and wish I had gotten the rev pipe over my woods. If I really sucked, or had to ride with little kids or something, I'd probably go with the woods pipe in that situation.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Funny you should mention suckage and kids with bikes. I'll be getting my 6.5-year old daughter a PW 80 for Christmas. Lots of slow parking lot and jeep trail riding in my future. :)

QuailChaser really misses his KDX for that very reason. His KX is a little spirited for slow stuff, but he makes do.

Rick
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

I didnt buy anything but the pipe and silencer (desert pipe) and changed jets and i did not notice any loss in low end. And it is definitely worth the money, and 230 seems high. Get it from frp...thats what I did.