tire tricks for a little bit of winter riding?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

tire tricks for a little bit of winter riding?

Post by 2001kdx »

this winter i was going to do something to a spare tire i have sitting around, such as put nails in it or something. i dont want to buy a special tire, but do something cheap. any ideas?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... sheet metal screws. NAILS???? Bad idea....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

this winter i was going to do something to a spare tire i have sitting around, such as put nails in it or something. i dont want to buy a special tire, but do something cheap. any ideas?
I was actually thinking about putting a post on that same subject not 5 min ago! :blink:

What do you do to protect the inner tube from the metal screw? (I assume you put the screw from the inside of the tire, right? :mrgreen: )
I will get a new rear tire soon; mine (stock) is about 1/2 worn out. As for the front, it's almost brand new (stock too) but I want a better one, so might as well give it a try. And have some fun this winter :supz: :mrgreen:

"2001 kdx 200 good bike" Let me know how you did yours so we can compare notes.

Wilf
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The screw are added to the outside of the tire... you run on the heads. You will lose some each ride and you can hurt anyone following you ....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:? well you got me there! :oops:
Any idea how long of the screw you leave out? 1/2 - 1/4 inch?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

None of it. You run on the heads. They are screwed all the way in.

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Just remember to put the screws in thetop of the knobs ONLY! Most of us here use our worn-out tires from the previous summer, so measure the height of the knobs, then buy the next size smaller sheet-metal screws. Depending on what tire you have, at least one screw per knob, but most times 2 will fit. And what Vince said is true: Space yourselves out if you ride in the winter with ice screws! :lol:

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I will definitely give it a shot.
Thanks guys I'll let you know how it turns out this winter :prayer:
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Work great on ICE only!! {sheet metal screws}. Any hard road surface like asphalt
or concrete and you will spin rear tire very easy and front will not have much grip.
Not very good in snow deeper than about 2 inch either. I have tried the same. My 2 cents.
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

It's always good to know :prayer:.
What about in snow higher than 2 inches? (not that I will try but I'm curious :wink: )
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Have never done this myself but I've seen videos of peeps in MN running in about a foot of snow and looked like they were having a blast. Also seen videos of peeps running on lakes - did not look as fun as blasting through the forest.

2-3 screws per knobby is what I have seen in pictures - riders claim there is plenty of traction.

If we had a bunch of power line runs or something like that I would try it.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

NO TRACTION!! Like not putting anything on or in tires {Sheet Metal Scews}{Picks} ete. Front wheel WILL wash out very fast. Quite scary, like :shock:
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

I have run a paddle tire quite a bit in the snow. Works way better in deeper snow than you would think. Stopping, or hitting ice with the bugger sucks. Have done the screws, and they work well. Takes forever to set up the tires. Use a drill/driver to put them in.
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I have absolutely zero knowledge base to add to this discussion. Our Winters here in the Phoenix, AZ area are similiar to most of the Northern States Summers. :wink:

About once every 10 to 15 years or so we get a tiny bit of snow during a winter rain storm that lasts about as long as it takes for one to run inside, grab a camera, come back out and miss it. However, due to Global Warming, last Winter we had one freak storm that gave us some very interesting conditions.

Unfortunatly it all melted leaving no evidence of "winter" weather before I had an opportunity to get out and play. Luck for two of our local rider, they were able to play hookey and have some fun and provide photographic evidence. :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The skinnier the tire the better to get down to ground instead of riding on top of the stuff. I also think running higher higher tire pressure would help in these conditions.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You can use carrage bolts and nyloks going through the knobs.... but you do have to put a good layer of rubber on the inside of the tire over the carrage bolt heads to avoid pinch flats.

This will be the best winter setup but you will tear the hell out of whatever you ride over. Not very environmentally friendly. :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

this set up sounds wicked! :lol:
Can't wait to see some snow! :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You have to drill though the knobs... insert the carrage bolts through the tire from the inside... only one per knob and you better check for clearance on the swingarm and forks. But it is the best for traction bar none....

You will not lose any either and the tires will last for years if you don't ride on pavement....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

if you go on google and search for "dirt bike ice racing tires" you will get some pics and some info. my dad's friend ice races professionally up in british columbia canada and last year won first place in open pro on a KX 500. i've ridden it and it hauls.

on the danger part, if you get the right screws and use a almost brand new tire, the screws almost never come out. but the dangerous part is the pros do it like flat track, whipping it way over sideways, and my dad's friend (jerry alcock) got his left thumb ground clear off one year leaning into someone's back tire. lost his thumb almost instantly. he has been leaning it so far over in the corner that the foot peg was dragging, so he raised it up 2 inches and now the frame is dragging as he goes around the corner. i will get a video and some more pics of it this winter.

they sell special screws somewhere, i will ask my dad and get back to you on that. the screws are really sharp and you get traction like riding on pavement (if it is nice solid clear ice). it's really an exciting sport, and really does help you get better at riding, building you confidence/skill at flat track turning and blasting out of the corner right into another. i can't wait to get my kdx set up for it. i will be able to race him and my dad (him on his kx 500, my dad on a WR 400). i'm not too bad at it.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
mattR

Post by mattR »

Studded tire are a blast in snow. I got a deal on the Michelins local a couple of years ago.

http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.m ... y_Code=SWT

http://winterstuds.com/Merchant4/mercha ... ore_Code=W
97 KDX 220