Handlebar mounts

Got questions? We got answers....
chris_psmith

Handlebar mounts

Post by chris_psmith »

I was practicing steering with my knees as advised on this forum, as I left the bike over the handlebars my knees had another go at it but this time trying the handlebars.
:supz:
I have managed to pull the handlebar rubber mount through the triple clamp whilst performing this manoeuver.
looking at it, the large washer had been bent over the nut to act as a locking tab so was easily pulled through the rubber handlebar mount as my knees had a go at steering.
I have the manual for the 89 kdx that was not rubber mounted, can someone tell me the torque setting for this nut (the one on the underside of the triple clamp), and is it a lock nut or is bending the washer over what the manual describes?
Thanks
Chris
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

OEM had a cotter pin. No, bending the washer is not recommended. All the aftermarket bar clamps have a nylock nut.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

Thanks, I would agree with the not reccomended, made it very difficult to get down off the Welsh mountain I was up at the time, I will get myself some nyloc's.
Any idea what torque it should be to avoid over or under compressing the rubber?
Thanks
Chris
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

No idea what the torque spec. is? I looked in the KX manual (same set up) and there is no spec. listed. Hmmmm. :? Scott's and Applied make neoprene (sp?) replacement cones that are more resistant to crushing. I think Fastway makes some alum cones that basically make it a "solid" mount.

I have always tightened them as tight as I could get them with a standard length box/open end wrench. Never had one come loose.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC