Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

rear tire

Post by scheckaet »

Hey guys,
I need to replace my rear tire.
My question is probably dumb but here it goes: what other size will mount and what would be the advantage(s)? :blink:
I assume a widder one would give me a bit more traction right?
thanks

Wilf :prayer:
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Tires are like condoms, they are both made outta rubber (I know it's not rubber but play along here) they come in different sizes, shapes, and "special functions". Anyone making a comment on the word "come" is a perv. Anyways, choosing the correct tire size and tread is dependant on what and where and how you ride. Even size can be misleading in that Michelin actual sizes (measured) are different than other brands even though the numbers are the same. Some manufacturer sidewalls are much stiffer than others as well. Just because a tire is smaller doesn't mean it wont hook-up compared to a larger tire, if the tread is superior on the smaller tire it may hook-up better. Some tires wear faster, some maintain traction even when half wore out. Some loose traction after the first few rides. Do this, find out what the good riders are using in your area and try it.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

What do you have now? Stock? Dumblop 739 100/100-18?
Gay! Replace both front and rear with most anything else. I live up in the northeast and love the Pirelli's.
I run none other than the MT 44 front and an MT 16 rear. (110/100-18)
I ran the MT 32 for a while and it hooked up nice in soft/intermediate terrain but was no rock hound. The 16 garacross is probably the most popular tire that I have noticed up here because it is predictable and hooks up well in all conditions. Especially rocks and roots. It is priced well at $60 too.
I pair the tires up with Michellin ultra-heavy doodie tubes and like the SS at 10 psi in the rear and 12 up front.
As far as size goes. I had a 120 on the back for a short time and aside from looking like a giant sausage wrapped around my rear wheel, I just don't feel like the bike had the size or power to really spin that tire. (this is where one of you will tell me to RB. Sorry, not yet.)
I ran big meats on big bikes and that was good. I like how a 110 cuts through the mud and finds the traction at the bottom. The Pirelli's are tall or have a bigger profile than a Dunny and frankly they all seem to have their own interpretation of size.
Another positive attribute to the 110 is that because it is narrower is has good feel from side-to-side or the transition from left to right turns is crisper.
I see that you live in OK. Send Jeff Fredette and email. He likes Pirelli's and I think Metzlers too. He will surely have a good opinion of what works well in your area.
Just one last thing: I gave a buddy who was strapped on cash a very slightly used MT 32 for his stock 220. He is still running the stock front and notices now that since the rear end is hooking up like it should it really pushes the front end now. That is why is think that ditching the front is a good idea.
:supz:
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

bradf is right on. find out what is popular in your area on similar sized steeds and you won't be too far off.
He said come! Haaaaaa!
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

Michilen S12 (130/80-18 which is everyone else's 110/100-18), with special receptacle end and ribbed for pleasure ;)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

That's what I have and after a little over 1 year on the stock tire(about 2000 miles), it is about worn more than 1/2. So I guess my riding area is not too abrasive on tires (well I WAS riding a stock bike, now I have a FMF wood pipe :mrgreen: , it probably will be a little harder on the rear)
The front is still like brand new so i probably won't change it for a while (unless i win the lottery!)
I ride mostly in tight wood area (90%) and grass. The ground is either compact dirt when very dried (feels like concrete if you know what I mean :mrgreen: ) and "sand like" in most of the corners (I hate that :evil:) that turns into mud/glue after it rains. (not very often this year)
My main issue is in turns, it feels like the bike wants to slide away from me, especially the front.
My front and rear suspensions are off a bit (working on finding the correct setting) and probably does not help the situation.

Would a different front make a huge difference? Do I need a widder or skinnier one? Or do I simply need a different tread with softer or less nobbies?

KDX rules :supz:

thx
Wilf
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:...The front is still like brand new so i probably won't change it for a while (unless i win the lottery!)...

...My main issue is in turns, it feels like the bike wants to slide away from me, especially the front....

Would a different front make a huge difference? Do I need a widder or skinnier one? Or do I simply need a different tread with softer or less nobbies?
I never changed the front suspension on my KDX. Stock forks/ stock springs. The bike was night and day different getting away from that Dunlop 739 front tire. Once the edges were broken on the 739 (about 3 rides) it felt exactly as you describe. I changed to a 80/100-21 Maxxis SI front and the bike stuck like glue. What I really like about the SI is that even after it wears, it stay predictable. I think you'll see a great benefit changing your stock 739 front tire to almost anything else.

I've run the Metzler MC4 front tire and it also worked well. I'm running that on the KX. I'll run almost any rear tire...but I'll only run the Maxxis SI or Metzler MC4 front here in AZ. Pirelli MT44 is also a good tire, but for me it felt scatey transitioning from dirt to the rocks. It never let go, but it sure would make my heart skip a beat in the transition. :shock: There are many other good tires, each persons riding style is different as well as the terrain they ride. As has been suggested, it's alway good to see what the "fast" guys riding in your area are running. :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Scheckaet sounds like your describing the dirt at the 500. You ever ride there? I live in Stillwater. I know one rear tire that I would not recomend for the dirt there is a Maxxis IT. It hooked up pretty good on the hard stuff but was horibble in the powder and it didnt brake that well. I am currently running a IRC m5b its a 110-80 and I really do like it. It hooks up great everywhere. I remember how nice it was to actually be able to accelerate out of a corner and not just spin after switching from the maxxis. It has worn pretty well also. My only complaint is the I have chucked off some of the knobbies on the sides. As far as the front goes I Switched from a stock front to a maxxis st and was very happy with the results. That was on a resprung stock frontend. Now im running a kx frontend with a Bridgestone m77 and I have no complaints with that tire.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Thank you all, :supz:

I can clearly see now that I do need to replace both tires (anybody looking for a very little used stock front tire??? :mrgreen: ) with about anything else (but stock) and I should have a better ride.
I think I will follow your advice mtorrider200 and try the one you recommended, the dirt is probably the same between Stillwater and oklahoma city.
(I am getting worn out riding the same trail in Lake drapper. What kind of trails do you have in Stillwater? wood/grass with hills?)

Wilf
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:

What kind of trails do you have in Stillwater? wood/grass with hills?)
The 500 is a place run by the city of Stillwater it has a 25 dollar annual membership. It is a great place to ride. It covers about 580 acres and has a main blue loop that is about 8-9 miles long. It is wide and fast with bermed out corners and lots of whoops. Then there are red tails that are bike only that branch off the blue and run all over the property. The red are much tighter and more technical and are my favorite to ride. It really is a fun place to ride and I'm sure that if you come out once you will be back. I’ll be out there Saturday. I’d be glad to show you around some time just let me know.

Oh, and there is a track out their but it hasn’t been worked in long while and it can be scary to ride on.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
grump99

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:
My main issue is in turns, it feels like the bike wants to slide away from me, especially the front.

I had the same exact problem with my stock front tire and forks. A Michelin S-12 tire and the proper rate fork springs made a world of difference. Good luck!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Dunlop D952 is a great tire. And it is a lower priced tire.
Wears long and is grippy on anything I have had it through.

Anything different than stock on the front is better.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "