1987 KDX200. U.K Spec.

Got questions? We got answers....
revingtosh

1987 KDX200. U.K Spec.

Post by revingtosh »

Hello everyone!

Im new to the forum so please feel free to flame me if i ask a stupid question.

I own an 87 KDX200 with a buggered engine. Ive sent the barrel and crank away to be overhauled as the top end was seized. When i stripped the motor down, i found lots of tiny fragments of metal in the crankcase along with chewed bearings etc..

The machine shop has recommended that i have the barrel resleeved using a steel liner which will allow potentially a 2mm oversize piston, is this right? Or am i better getting the barrel rechromed?

Also, whats the best way to tune this engine for power? I'd like more bottom end grunt rather than top end power. What exhaust would you recommend?

Finally (phew!), i need a flywheel for this bike, as some of the magnets have fell off the current one.

Great site BTW, it looks like you all know your KDX stuff inside out and back to front! Hopefully i can learn a little.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Welcome to the site!

A sleeved cylinder creates allot of heat especially on a aircooled model.

A rechromed cylinder would be the better choice of the two. Costwise, I would say a sleeved cylinder would probably be cheaper.

Sounds like you would be putting more money in it than what it is worth.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "