Anyone excited about the new KLX450R???

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Anyone excited about the new KLX450R???

Post by wanaride »

I just saw a story on MotorcycleDaily.com about the 2008 KLX450R. Looks like a bad machine, and based on their press release, it appears some thought has been given to the needs of off-road riders.

Anyone planning on scooping one up when they hit the dealer's floor?
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Nope, never, not me. :wink:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Nope, never, not me.
Why?
Are they this bad?
(or did I juat miss the sarcasm?)
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

They look like a weapon to me although im not a huge four stroke fan see how the reviews go when its tested.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

im very interested.
im not sure whats better for me, ktm 300 xc, or a wr 450. or maybe this new kawi.
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

I rode an '06 KX450F at my local MX track. Compared to the KDX, the bike is a lot harder to ride, as in you can feel the extra weight, rotating mass, etc. It wasn't as flickable as the KDX is, and the pegs felt about 4 inches higher compared to the KDX. Even with softened suspension, I wouldn't want to ride that thing in the woods. It felt "heavy" wherever I went, turns, straight, jumps, etc. Narrow, but heavy and loooooooong..

I also didn't like the motor, it felt slow to respond on the bottom and mid. Top end revved, but I didn't feel like it got the power to the ground, like a 2 stroke. My '04YZ250 smoker felt as if it would walk all over the 450F... Don't get me wrong, I am sure the bike is a marvel of technical engineering and has the best of the best on it, light years ahead of the KDX... but IMHO, I just didn't like the thing...

4 Strokes I rode and DID like are the '05 CRF 250R, '05 CRF 250X, Old DRZ400, '97 Yamaha YZ400F, '01 YZ250F, '06 WR250F. All of these felt like they handled better and were slightly more "flickable" than the KXF. Who knows what they did to the new woods version and I would ride one to see if I liked it, but for now the KDX gets the nod. I also don't have the $7k to part with.
FAZ
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

Bailey28, how was that '06 wr 250? are they worth buying, or would the CRF250 X be a better run for its money? my brother is in need of a new bike (5'10, 175 lbs, 13 years riding a '04 crf 150) and isn't mutch of a two stroke person since the KDX is the first four stroke i've had and he's rode that's actually got power. he and my dad's been debating on what to get. we saw a '03 wr 250 for $3,270 and a '05 CRF250 X for $4,300 in the wheel deals. what would u say after riding the ones you did?
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Well, at least Kawasaki hasn't totally abandoned the trail.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/23septem ... lx450r.htm

Looks like they've tuned it as a purpose-built off-roader, kinda-maybe like the KDX in 4T trim.
Kawasaki engineers have combined revisions in cam lift and timing in order to boost low and mid-range torque. Adding to the special characteristics of this engine are a heavier flywheel with double the mass of the KX450F’s unit and a wide-ratio five-speed transmission with gears that have been specifically selected for off-road competition.
The Kayaba AOS inverted fork provides superb damping and steering precision with tuning specifically optimized for light, easy handling characteristics. Oil and air are kept in separate chambers for stable damping performance during long events and low-friction seals contribute to smooth fork action.
The KLX450R’s chassis has been specially set-up to be nimble while negotiating narrow trails or maneuvering between rocks and trees.
In fact, a fully-equipped KLX450R only weighs about 22 pounds more than the KX450F.
:shock:

But can you imagine these mechanicals with a torquey (ie, not a KX-like) 250 or 300 2-stroke? Call it a KDX 300? :)

Ain't gonna happen... which is why after a couple of years, my next bike will likely be a KTM 250 or 300.

Image :shock:
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

Since Husky and KTM are both making (barely) street legal off road 4-strokes, I can't see buying a non-titleable trail bike.
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

crazy,

It's been a year since I've ridden either the CRF250X or the WR250, but from what I can remember, the Yamaha had the better ergenomics and the Honda had the better motor. "Better" is subjective, becasue everyone has different preferences. Both were bone stock and their suspensions were very soft to begin with. I just remember revving the Yamaha and shifting the thing while holding the throttle wide open. It sounded like a Briggs and Stratton.... It wasn't very fast, and my KDX would kill it acceleration wise.

I'm sure with a few mods, the Yamaha would rip like crazy though. I rode the CRF250R and the X model back to back, within 10 minutes of each other. the R version ripped box stock, and the X was within about 20% of the power of the R. Both felt like they had the same power charachteristics too. You couldn't go wrong with either bike, both are good woods bikes. If i were buying, I would buy the Yami, then mod the motor a bit for my taste. Personally, I like a strong bottom and mid with some overrev on top. Top end only to me is a waste.
FAZ
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Since Husky and KTM are both making (barely) street legal off road 4-strokes, I can't see buying a non-titleable trail bike.
Are you saying the KLX450 isn't streetable, or that the KTM 250/300 isn't? Just about anything can be made street legal in Arizona. Even quads. KTM makes kits for the purpose if you can't to it yourself.

Rick
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I just hate the moden, lightweight 4-stroke. For many reasons...performance, longevity, political, etc. This bike does seem to be the cream of the crop as far as modern 4-stroke jap enduros (Heavy FW, mild cam, wide trans...All the feature I love in a 2-cycle!). Of all the 4 strokes to come out this would be the one I would own, but I will be on a two cycle until thy improson me for it. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

>|<>QBB<
AZRickD wrote:
Are you saying the KLX450 isn't streetable, or that the KTM 250/300 isn't? Just about anything can be made street legal in Arizona. Even quads. KTM makes kits for the purpose if you can't to it yourself.

Rick
I'm saying streetable at purchase. My XR400 is plated, but it costs money and a fair bit of time to get that done here in PA. My Baja kit and other parts to legalize it were about $500, and it took a couple of months to get the modified title paperwork through.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Streetable from the factory is the only way to get it done here in CA. If i'm going to toss down 7-8K on a bike I better be able to ride it on connecting trails (ie. roads) as well.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Looks like the KLX 450 is streetable, then.

Rick
tag220

Post by tag220 »

My kdx is street legal I will never own non legal bike again. For $7-$8g my next bike will be ktm exc. You can buy with motorcyle or off road only title very easy to make legal.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I ride tight trails and a streetable bike just doesn't do justice to the trails.

For me it is a waste of tires....

I really like that KLX and would probably buy one of them over any other 4 stroker. It has a proven motor and has been made heavy duty for servicability. I think Ma Kaw is going to have a winner on her hands.

Now... let's see if she can make it affordable.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
tag220

Post by tag220 »

I ride avg 100 miles a week maybe 1 mile on pavement. Non dot tires ( maxis maxx cross rear millville front ) bike is ugle on road but I can unload and ride any atv or state park dirt road in pa. Which I cannot do if I do not have plate.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
Indawoods wrote:I ride tight trails and a streetable bike just doesn't do justice to the trails.
Yeah, Me too! :wink:

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't look tight to me! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "