Sprocket size...

Got questions? We got answers....
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
kdennan wrote:I think I have seen this before regarding 12T CS on a 220. Is it okay?
See.... I was under the impression that a smaller than stock (13) sprocket would cause more wear on the shaft etc. So I put on a 50T rear to gear down but it appears to wear quickly on the ole' chain guide. i.e. I posted a week or two ago about my Fredette guide wearing on my chain. ( I took it apart and it had worn down through the back end, closest to the rear sprocket into the bolt [2] that holds the lower block in place. :sad: ) I put the stock chain guide back on.
So now I am thinking that when I replace the drivetrain this winter I should go 12-47. No?
BTW; I think instead of putting the Fredette guide on with the two spacers I will try and put the outer plastic face of the stocker on first then the outer (Fredette) plate on flush to the mount on the swingarm. That will let the chain rub on something plastic instead of a hunk of aluminum. :blink: Might have to break out the dremmel and do a little custom fab.
I'm not sure I understand exactly why your sprocket is rubbing? I ran 13/50 with a 110 link DID O ring chain (adjusted around 5 to 6 on the dial) and never had any issues with the Moose/Fredette chain guide. In fact, I liked it so much, that I put one on the KX as well.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I run a 12 tooth CS. So I loose some MPH on the top. I maybe use 5th gear once a ride for maybe 1/4 mile. I'm not even positive 6th is still there as I have not been in it for over a year! Proper gearing is very dependant on the rider and the track. With the KDX forks I averaged 14 MPH on a typical 6 mile section. With the KX forks I average 18 MPH. With a 12 CS I can stay in 3rd a lot longer without downshifting. With a 13 CS I have to downshift more. So where I ride I am faster and more comfortable with the 12 CS. 3rd gear is orgasmic with the SSS too so I like to stay there as much as possible. The other option of going to a 50 tooth rear was nixed due to the rubbing more on the guide and the CS was cheap!. The 12 CS effect on the chain does not seem to wear it at all either.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
tag220

Post by tag220 »

My 220 will eat a 12t cs in about 1000 miles with me flipping it every 3-4 rides.I have run 50t rear with oem guide and cut about 1/2" off plastic bottom peice worked fine.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I just ran it through the bottom block so it was rubbing on the rear of the two fixing bolts. Hee Hee. I still think I am going to stick with the stocker. The Fredette is so burly that if you hit that thing hard enough you'll bend the tabs on the swingarm. Not what I would like to do. My favorite trails around here consist of super rocky stream beds and washes. I just keep myself aware of where my rear wheel is and usually avoid the bashers.
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Nos would be AWSOME!!! They do that to sleds and man do they FLY!!! A bike woulod be interestring lol....be hard to keep it on the ground tho....

imagine the thrust...
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!