Damage to outter cover

Got questions? We got answers....
masskdxer

Damage to outter cover

Post by masskdxer »

I have a 2005 kdx200 that I noticed I had been loosing some transmission fluid after riding. I took a better look today and I found a small hole on the cover behind the kick starter ( the one with the window to check tranny fluid level).....Can that be repaired with that liquid steel stuff? or should I just get it over with and spend the $50 plus the gasket?The second question would be....Is it possible it is still under warranty with kawasaki?Anybody else have this problem?I bought the bike as a leftover in March and it only has 300 miles so far. Any help would be appreciated....Thanks
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is the hole a casting flaw or worn in or punctured? Ma Kaw may bite the bullet on it if it is a casting flaw... otherwise forget it.

The casing is not presurized so you could easily fill it with some Liquid steel or other epoxy from the inside so you don't ugly up the outer beauty of the bike! :grin:

And you probably won't need a new gasket either.... I have had my case off a dozen times this year on the same gasket.... no leaks.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I have used JB Weld to fix that sort of problem and it held up just fine.
Last edited by motorider200 on 09:24 pm Sep 20 2006, edited 1 time in total.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
masskdxer

Post by masskdxer »

Thanks guys.....just wanted to make sure
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Two comments

1. You should have a six month warranty on the bike so March to Sept is close and most dealers will honor an item even if a few weeks over the offcial period. That said - ditto what Indawoods said - must be a warranty type problem.

2. Epoxy fixs of small cracks or punctures are pretty common fixes on things like the clutch cover or ignition cover. Just be sure to clean the "wound" well prior to applying the epoxy. Dremel tool cleaning or even carb or brake cleaner followed by some light scuffing of the cover in the area of the fix will normally allow the epoxy to adhere.

FWIW - Personally I like to keep these type of fixes visible on the outside of the cover with minimal intrusion of the epoxy within the cover. My rational is that if the epoxy is going to break loose from the cover due to lack of adhesion or a second incident in this particular area I don't want the material falling inside my engine cases.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine