Keeping My KDX Cool...

Got questions? We got answers....
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Keeping My KDX Cool...

Post by Wudscrasher »

I've been having some issues with my 2000 KDX220 cooling. 1st off, I'm not a newbie. My jetting is/should be spot-on, all fluid mixtures are w/in spec. I've had boiling-over issues for awhile now, mostly on gnarly trails. I almost boiled-out in Idaho last month (2000' less than usual) - mainly due to the 35 miles of road to get back to camp. My question is, do KDX's have a thermostat? My water pump works fine, coolant flow is fine...I do have Devol Rad Guards, but I was at a track last weekend, in cool (<80°F) temps, not much dust, and my bike died several times throughout the day and was puking coolant. WTF? Also, does jumping and hammering the bike cause fuel-flow issues? I'm trying to diagnose 2 problems, here. Only engine mods are Wiseco Piston, FMF pipe/TurbineCoreIIQ silencer, freed-up airbox. Any ideas as to why I'd be boiling-up? Don't say I'm not riding fast enough, ya jerks ;) I've been wanting to get a few of you Colorado jokers out for a ride, anyway. TIA for your advise and wise-a$$ remarks...

-- C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your in luck!

This is a great thread on the subject!!

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1044

Proly a bad cap or air in the system. Get a higher pressure cap.

CM has a 1.6 Radiator cap off a CRF450 on his and solved the issue...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Your in luck!

Proly a bad cap or air in the system. Get a higher pressure cap.

CM has a 1.6 Radiator cap off a CRF450 on his and solved the issue...
I'll second that.

Oh, and ride faster! :lol:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

cap is spot on the first to cause a problem. most don't think to check it or replace it. as a Surfer in Hawaii I spent my time out of the water working on cars the most common things were radiator caps and distributer cap and rotor.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Yeah, what they said. I wouldn't bother with the 1.1 cap, go to a 1.6 to avoid problems that could occur if something else goes wrong in the future. Here is a link that has even more info: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1054
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Firefightinlv

Post by Firefightinlv »

Just looked on ebay under KX250 cap and found a 1.6 cap for about 16.00 plus shipping. Just my $.02
05 KDX220
Las Vegas. . Were you can ride 24/7/365. .
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Darnit, I shoulda mentioned I already got a 1.6 cap, months ago, at the recommedation of an old-school dirtrider. Sorry about that.

Boy, do I have you guys by the short-hairs, now! In the immortal words of Dom DeLouise, "OK, faggot! What's next!" :lol: (No disrespect to y'all gay riders, I just love that line from History of the World, Part I :supz: )

I'm thinking the bike cutting out at the track had something to do with fuel flow. Also, air bubbles in the system were my second-guess (thanks, Inda). And Quail, I already know I need to ride faster, buddy :grin:

It's a quandry, and I'll finger it out. The advise I get from y'all helps in my diagnosis of the problem.

-- C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I would bleed the system. The start up, take that cap off, fill and let the bubbles come to the top. Also, squeeze the hoses in and out or tap with a wrench to get the bubbles free. Your cap may be bad also, try a new one
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Do you still have your puke tank on?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

>>Do you still have your puke tank on?

Yes, I do. However, at the track, I didn't use hardly any from the overflow. I expected much more fluid to be sucked up. When I drained the system the other day, the rads were full as well.
2000 KDX220R

Enduro_Mayhem

Keeping My KDX Cool...

Post by Enduro_Mayhem »

I suffered boiling-over last weekend on my '94 220 (Jap import) - UK-based enduro course; ground VERY heavy going; woods work/2nd gear technical low speeds (ambient temp low... it IS the UK!), so will flush/bleed the cooling system and try the 1.6 rad cap before anything else.

One question... what 'type' of cap do I need for the 220 - I can see references above made to a CRF 450 1.6 cap and also a KX 250 cap ... are they a universal fit, or model/year specific?

:supz:
Flyin' the Flag for Team Vintage