1 Mod at a time?

Got questions? We got answers....
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

1 Mod at a time?

Post by TopperHarley »

My 05 220R is broken in now and im ready to build her up. I was reading some other threads and you guys were saying one mod at a time. My plan was to send in my head to RB to get shaved and purchase an Air Stryker carb. While he was working on the head, I was planning on putting in a Wiseco piston to avoid the misery of the self destructing factory piston. Included with my head will be a sheet which states my mods VF3 reeds, snorkel removed from airbox, FMF rev pipe w/ FMF turbine core 2. My typical riding conditions woods trails, hillclimbs. Average altitude 740'. and 93 octane fuel w/Amsoil Interceptor @ 50:1. Considering the one mod at a time deal, is throwing all this together and trying to get her to run a bad idea? Has anyone done this? I just hate to have to go through my upgrades one at a time and re-jetting for each one. My cylinder will not be getting any intake or exhaust porting done. I have heard some horror stories about that. I also wanted to ask about the FRP exhaust ring thing. Will my FMF still fit correctly into the cylinder. Does this ring make much of a difference in low end and how much top do you loose. Also, for those who own one, which needle do you prefer in the air stryker?
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

If you have all those mods installed when it it put back together, THAN your jetting should be in the Ballpark.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I pretty much did the exact mods you want to do, all in order with the same exact parts. My exhaust would not quite fit with the FRP ring. The other mods more than made up for the what ever the ring would have done. I installed the pipe and TC 2 first, which helped, then before the next ride I had the carb mod done which rocked! Next ride was with the VF3. Then I sent the head in and did the piston swap. So it wasn't all at the same time. I tweaked during each ride. After the RB carb you will need to find the SSS.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I can't imagine you needing a torque spacer on a 220. The 220 needs the head mod so bad I wouldn't feel bad about combining that with anything else. I think you should do the whole thing together and tune the carb once. Ron does a real good job of getting it very close to begin with.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Another thing to note is that ALL those things work very well with each other. You will absolutely think you are on another bike, which you actually you will be. If you did do them all at once there is no need to be concerned if the bike will run, it will. Rons carb will be so close to perfect that maybe only a slight tweak of the AS will be required. Do the piston/ring break-in assuming you will get new rings, then immediately find the SSS. So get the Kute Knurled Knob (KKK) for the AS to ease finding the SSS.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I concur with all the others, that the mods you are doing all work together as one. Ron will have your carb set for whatever you tell him your set up is (or is going to be when the carb arrives). You'll be fine.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Do it all and get on with jetting your new carby. Wait till you take the bike for a spin with a CEK in the #4 clip...hold on! Gonna be hard to keep the front end on the ground with your 220. Have Ron send you a DEK needle as well for your carb and you'll be covered with both needles from mild to wild. After you get all those mods done you'll be ready to start saving for suspension upgrades. :mrgreen:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E