Installing Moose brush guard question.

Got questions? We got answers....
gtoron

Installing Moose brush guard question.

Post by gtoron »

Ok guys I have a question for you. I bought Moose hand guards for my new 05 KDX.

Went to install them today and have a problem. The end of the handlebars (the inside diameter) is not big enough it is just a small hole. After cutting a hole in the end of the grip expecting the end of the bars to be a little smaller that the OD of the bars I was surprised to find a small hole maybe 3/8 of an inch, far to small to install the bolt and nut setup for mounting the hand guard to the bar end.

Do I have to cut the bars? Do I need to remove the grip? Also do you need to remove the throttle?

Please someone explain I have never done this before.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Remove the controls and remove the bars. Clamp the bars in a vise and cut the bars down about 1 inch on either side. You will have to cleanup the cut and they will fit. Ma Kaw fills the ends to cut down on vibration....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Remove the controls and remove the bars. Clamp the bars in a vise and cut the bars down about 1 inch on either side. You will have to cleanup the cut and they will fit. Ma Kaw fills the ends to cut down on vibration....
How do I get the grips off? Can you you remove them without ruining them or will I have to buy a new set?

Thank for the info.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They can be saved... I do it all the time.

If they have grip glue on them.... work a thin screwdriver in and around the grip and then I always hold onto the thumb guard part and pull them toward me left and then right. It may bunch up on you at the end but just grab it there and pull it til it's straight again and then keep going.

Throttle side is usually a little easier....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I went through this and so did my boss. both of us have far less patience than Vince. I ended up replacing the bars. My boss made the mistake of thinking he was going to "throw these on trailside". :lol: :lol: I think he rode about a half hour that day. :rolleyes:

he did get them on though. :prayer:

I thought if I had to do that again, I would try drilling/tapping the hole in the bar weight though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Drilling and tapping works too. My brothers bars are that way, and they are MSR's made for the BB's....

I like to narrow the profile to take off what the BB's are adding....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****