Replacing wheel bearings

Got questions? We got answers....
NM_KDX200

Replacing wheel bearings

Post by NM_KDX200 »

I noticed a little wobble in the KDX front wheel yesterday while it was on the trailer. Looking at it closely, I can clearly see the wheel wobbling on the axle. Just a little bit- about like if you backed your trailer bearing nut out a little.

What's it like replacing wheel bearings and what is everyone using?
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

It depends on how stuck they are. My kid's bikes have been mostly easy, but one of them had me ready to start throwing stuff. Take the seals off first, then I just support the hub with something and put a flat-nosed punch through the axle hole, inside the sleeve. sometimes it's tough to get the sleeve to move enough to get a grip on the bearing. Then you start tapping it out alternating across the bearing. once you get it moving it gets easier.

They make a tool for this, but $50 for the seldom use seems steep to me. I used cheapie bearings (All Balls I think) on the kid's bike, but the Jap ones on my KX wheel. I think the factory ones cost about double what the aftermarket ones do.

Have fun.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
grump99

Post by grump99 »

I have heard somewhere that a little heat applied to the hub will help the bearing come out easier. I have not tried this though. Good luck. :grin: