Brake Levers

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Brake Levers

Post by Mark W »

Since I did so well on the handle bar grips - thought I would ask to see if there are any things I should be aware of when purchasing new brake levers for mine and my sons (KX65) bikes? Both of us fell today and we each broke our brake levers.

Make sure you type real slow as you are all aware of how "bright"
I am and all ......
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Well, a set of bark busters will help with the lever breaking, not sure if they make them for a 65. A lot of people like Acerbis, http://monkeybuttparts.com/pk4/store.pl?section=87

Personally I like the Moose competition levers with the rubber insert. http://monkeybuttparts.com/pk4/store.pl?section=466

I would also loosen up the perches so that they will rotate with moderate force so that they rotate instead of break when they get hit, then you just rotate them back.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Ha Ha Ha! I've n e v e r done anything like that. :lie: :wink:

I like also like the Moose or MSR grip levers. However, they only come in a set (both clutch and brake levers). The sets are around $22 to $25. You can buy replacement levers by Sunline, Parts Unlimited, or others for around $4 or $5 a lever. They will be just like the OEM. Or you can get the Sunline Arc or ASV levers that are hinged and mostly unbreakable....for around $100 a lever :shock:

Yes, handguards will help...although, I had to replace my Moose Competition clutch lever this year (even using handguards) :cry:

I've heard from some of the more frugal motocrossers that you can wrap the bars with teflon tape under your perches and they'll spin instead of break. Not sure if that really works? Moose does make mini handguards that will fit the 65's and the 85's. I have a set on my kids PW80.

Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Robb, I couldn't find the Moose mini handguards on the Monkey Butt site, where did you get yours at? (I need them for a CRF70 and KTM Mini Adventure 50.) And how do you like your KX250?
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:Robb, I couldn't find the Moose mini handguards on the Monkey Butt site, where did you get yours at? (I need them for a CRF70 and KTM Mini Adventure 50.) And how do you like your KX250?
Got them at above said shop. Unfortunatly there is no full time web guy and things get missed when the updates come out. :oops: They are on the site now. As long as the KTM 50 and CRF70 have 7/8" mini or Fat bar mini bars they should work. I haven't looked at a XR/CRF70 so I'm not sure what bars come stock...the PW80 has 7/8" steel micro bars and the guards fit fine. I believe the KTM 50 comes with the same bars as the KTM 65...so they should work.

I really like the KX. It's alot more work to ride it with the kids, but it eats up the sand and high speed stuff. It actually works really well in the tight stuff, except that there is a much finer line where it goes from lugging to stalling. The KDX would let you know it's going to stall. The KX will just shut down if your clutch and throttle is the tiniest bit out of sink in the lower RPM slow tight stuff. A flywheel weight would probably "cure" this, if I considered it a problem. It's not a problem...I am. :mrgreen:
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I use teflon tape with barkbuster and haven't broken a lever since. Oh did I mention I crash alot. :oops: I still have 2 of each as spares that I don't think I'll be using for a while. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
KAY DEE EXER wrote:I use teflon tape...

There ya go. :mrgreen: With an endorsement from K D X 'r on the teflon tape, I now have an actual example that teflon tape works. :cool:
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

The KDX would let you know it's going to stall.
Yer tellin' me. Your old (my new) 220 will let me get away with some really bone headed RPM/gear screw ups to the point that it sounds like a 4T until I flick the clutch to let it climb back into the revs.

The KDX220 is Newbie-approved.

As to the guards you thankfully put on the bike before you sold it, it's not just the drops that are at issue. It's the number of times I've slammed what would have been my hands through trees, cactus, palo verde....

Golden.

Rick