Suspension for fatties

Got questions? We got answers....
Superwilly

Suspension for fatties

Post by Superwilly »

Hey all, I just got my KDX, and I'm 270 lbs. Bike is fun to ride, but I do need to stiffen the suspension. SHould I try and make both front and back as stiff as possible?
'85 KDX 200
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

06 200H

GALLERY!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You definately need to beef up the suspension. I would say .44 front springs and a 5.4 rear spring should work for you.

** EDIT **
HEY...that's what Fredette says too!.... I'm good! :supz: :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Superwilly

Post by Superwilly »

Thanks for the reply's guys. Will the components he mentions work on my bike (85)? For example, in this link http://www.frpoffroad.com/catalog/detai ... ?ProdID=32 the 5.4 rear spring says for '89 and up...?

Also, where is the most affordable place to buy these springs?
'85 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You might contact Jeff... he more than likely will answer the phone. Finding parts for a bike that old will be hit and miss.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Superwilly

Post by Superwilly »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:... Finding parts for a bike that old will be hit and miss.
I hear ya on that - I'm more of a mind to just make sure this one runs ok, start learning to ride on it (no big air or really demanding riding), and then get something newer that I can actually buy parts for to customize for my size and style...

I never considered getting a newer KDX till I joined this forum, but the way you guys talk about them I'm really going to be looking for one! :)
'85 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They are the cheapest .... and the most versatile bike on the planet.... IMHO of course! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I note that the recommendation for the front forks stop at 2002, but the rear shock goes to 2006.

I'm about 195 butt-nekkid and almost always ride with a medium C-bac with water and tools.

What springs for me and my '03?

There are other options besides the Gold valves as I recall.

Rick
Rocky 1-track rider
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It should be the same for the 03's too. I don't think anything has changed since 95.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****