klx300 VS kdx200

Got questions? We got answers....
motofox2006

klx300 VS kdx200

Post by motofox2006 »

I have a kdx200 91 with fmf fatty exhaust and modified air box lid and larger rear sprocket.

Someone I know has a klx300 97 with big bore header pipe and dynojet carb kit.

Does anyone have any ideas on who would win in a straight line race.
E series 91 KDX
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The KDX. Hands down.

As a matter of fact.... Fuzzy has video evidence of this.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

whos fuzzy how can i see this video please
E series 91 KDX
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

Woo Hoo this is good information as I know that my kdx will beat my uncles klx in a race.

I didn't want to be slower than him.
E series 91 KDX
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, this was a stock '90 with blown out silencer (guy had just brought the bike home this day) vs a pretty heavily modded klx300....Head/cam/piston/etc....Might have even been a stroker, but that I don't know to be 100%.

Quicktime Movie:

LINK!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

Thanx for this looks like the kdx whipped its but.
E series 91 KDX
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They start at the same time... it's just the KLX had a hard time getting off the line compared to the KDX.... PERIOD! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Makes horsepower faster.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Plus he's a drag racer...The KLX rider is ironically an A class harescramble rider. 90% rider, 10 % bike!! :shock: I think the KLX may have given the KDX 'the hit,' and that's how the race was started. He prolly had no idea what the lil 200 had in it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You also have to realize that the KLX is old school 4 stroke technology (which I prefer) as opposed to the modern titanium valved high revving grenading 4 strokes.

So, the KLX has a disadvantage against high reving 2 stroke when it comes to acceleration.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I've ridden a YZ250F (modern titanium valved high revving grenading 4 stroke). I was surprized at how gutless it was at low to mid rpm compared to my 220. On the top it would flatten mine though. Given I ride at low to mid most of the time, and I like a $150 done-in-the garage rebuild compared to an $850 dealer rebuild, I think my KDX does well for me.

I also tried a buddy's YZ450F , but a carburation glitch made it almost unridable on the trails. It would idle fine, then almost shut off before 1/8 throttle, then it would catch and try to buck you off with a blast of power. I think he got that worked out, but I thought another buddy's KX500 was a ton easier to ride, felt way lighter too. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Given the jump that the KLX rider allowed the KDX, I'd say the KLX did pretty well. They were both doing the same speed as they passed the camerman. As well, there should have been multiple runs and switching of lanes, and even switching of riders.

Rick
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Oh pick, pick, pick. The KDX WON. BWAHAHAHAHAA !!!! :lol: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Like it really matters :roll:

KDX really shines at a lot lower RPM's, especially if it's been RB'd
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
UFS207

Post by UFS207 »

I'd actually really like to try a KLX out. I kinda blew them off when I was shopping around for a semi-modern trail bike (an XR400R was my first pick, KDX200/220 a close 2nd) but the KLX looks like it would own on a TIGHT single-track trail.
kdxdad

Post by kdxdad »

I have a KLX and my son has a KDX220. My bike is alot heavier and less maneuverable than his but, unlike what Mr. Wibbens states, the KLX lugs alot better than the KDX. I can chug in first gear thru the real tight technical stuff without using the clutch where my son has to feather the clutch thru that stuff. The gearing on the KDX seems to be alot taller than the KLX.
________
African Cooking
Last edited by kdxdad on 11:13 pm Feb 15 2011, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Dad, Nice Dobe! Mine died at 15 last Oct :cry:

If that's the case then your Son's KDX needs some work. It should certainely chug along without ever having to touch the clutch. 2-strokes are more sensitive to jetting so your problem more than likely lies there.

While the KDX is very 4-stroke like in the bottom, I agree w/ you it's still not a four stroke. "Old School" air pumps like the KLX produce gobs of low end. The modern MX 4-stroke does not. It's like stock small block chevy compared to a 10k RPM fully race prepped SBC. I think if I was forced to ride 4-stroke a XR400 would be my choice. Honda is the absolute Boss of 4-strokes, especially old school style, IMO. Until then my only 4-strokes will be my vehicles, and my John Deere, and that's not by choice :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you want true 4 stroke type torque out of the KDX..... Try the RB carb mod, switch to the DEK needle and dial in the SSS. It's right there!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:If you want true 4 stroke type torque out of the KDX..... Try the RB carb mod, switch to the DEK needle and dial in the SSS. It's right there!
Thats the truth...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E