Fuel drip

Got questions? We got answers....
Superwilly

Fuel drip

Post by Superwilly »

Ok, I've only had my '85 KDX 200 for a couple of weeks, but this bike very slowly drips fuel from one of the little hoses that comes down out of the carb. Is this normal? When I bring the bike upright (from the kickstand), it leaks a littlle more as well - normal?
'85 KDX 200
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Sounds like the needle and seat are letting fuel by. Take it apart and check them for crud and clean them. Then set the float which may be way off allowing the bowl to fill past the overflow outlet.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Check your float level also. But, this drip is better than the Fire when I Pee drip :wink:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Superwilly

Post by Superwilly »

Ok, so this sounds like I need to pull apart the carb. Which scares me. Is this something I want to tackle by myself (with my trusty Clymer manual), or should I enlist the help of someone more mechanically inclined? Also, when I do so, what supplies am I going to need (other than tools and cleaner)? Will I need some new gaskets and gasket sealer?
'85 KDX 200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

It's a piece of piss (pun intended). If you have any specific questions the guys here will be able to help you out. It really isn't anything to be scared of. Good luck and if in doubt just ask. :wink: No gaskets needed for a carb overhaul/service.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Superwilly

Post by Superwilly »

One another note - I have alot of trouble starting this bike. Are the problems related (incorrect float level causing the bike to be flooded even before i pull out the kick starter)?
'85 KDX 200
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

If when opening petcok to get the fuel flowing and you have a wrong float/needle combo then yeah it could drip even before you actually kick it .
1981 KDX 175
Superwilly

Post by Superwilly »

UPDATE: Well, I pulled the carb apart last night, cleaned 'er all up, and adjusted the float level. It seems to be better - not dripping fuel like before. This was the first time that I had pulled the fuel line off the carb - the petcock is letting a constant drip of fuel by even in the off position!?!

Is this common - what's required - pulling apart the fuel shutoff valve, cleaning, replacing "O"rings, etc?
'85 KDX 200
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Most likely the petcock has a groove worn in the valve. If you take it apart you can fill the groove in with JB weld and then sand it back down smooth, reassemble and it should be good to go.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Superwilly

Post by Superwilly »

Sounds like a great tip - I'll give it a try. Thanks!
'85 KDX 200