Scotts Dampener

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Scotts Dampener

Post by Ryan »

I cant afford one right now but i think i am going to be purchasing a dampener over the winter. From what ive read in previous posts the Scotts stabilizer is the only way to go. Ive heard that you can use one meant for the street and just change the mounting, is that true? Also the only difference between the on and off road stabilizer's is the mounting right?

IF i were to buy used, can the insides be worn out?? Or should i just buy new and save myself the trouble.

Ive been racing with my friend very often this past month when i am off from work. I just cant seem to get a better time than i am right now. My kdx right now is working 100%. It has a good amount of power and i really like the suspension. There are a good amount of small rocks and roots on my race track that i was hoping the stabilizer would help with. Im consantly in 4th or 5th gear and those roots are rough at such high speeds.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

the difference in street and dirt scotts is direction of control the street controls two ways and dirt controls one way. but if I were a budget minded lad I would spend that money on suspension valving first.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I have a W.E.R and it works well enough for a hack like me. I tested it in a dry, ROCKY creek bed. I could go along comfortably in 3rd-4th, disconnectd it, hit 2nd and crapped myself. :oops: :blink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have a Scotts and really like it. It's really a lot of money though, and it's impossible for me to say that it would be worth it for you.

If you're riding in 5th gear over roots and rocks, that puts you at 60 mph. A crash at that speed into an object can be bad. You could be hurt or even seriously killed.

I broke two ribs a while back before I had the damper. I was in 4th and I got deflected by a sunken boulder into a car-sized rock next to the trail. I was very lucky, and got the damper shortly after that. Since then, I've hit similar ob-stackles (sic.), but the bike either just absorbs the impact and soaks it up with the suspension, or the whole bike moves over a few inches but stays straight. That is the key point, the deflections are what can cause the big problems. I still crash, but quite a bit less, and the bike feels much more stable at all speeds, but at higher speeds especially. In sand and deep loose gravel I noticed a huge improvement too.

Another nice benefit is I hold the bars with less of a grip. I noticed my arms were nowhere near as tired after a days ride immediatley after I put it on.

My son is 15 and rides motocross. He rides my bike occasionally and overall he hates it. Compared to his YZ, it's way too heavy, underpowered, too soft, and feels weird to him. He loves the steering damper though, and would like one on his bike. I haven't seen too many MX guys with them, but most Enduro and Desert racers have them.

As for your questions, No the on and off road dampers are not the same, but Krazy told you that, I have heard that Scotts can convert the damping action . The mounts are different for each bike, and there are different options on where you mount it. Getting a used one may be a good deal, be aware that if it was mounted improperly it can be damaged internally so it doesn't work. You have to be careful that the damper doesn't act like a steering stop. That'll break it. If you buy new, you know what you have, and I have yet to see a really good deal on a used one, but I don't look much anymore. I think if I got a screaming deal on a used one I would send it off to Scotts to get rebuilt. The guys at Scotts know their product really well, and have given me very good customer service.

One other note. If you are really flying around at 60 a lot of the time, You may be on the wrong bike. Before you spend a ton more on the KDX, you might want to hop on a modern YZ 250 or similar and see what you think. When I ride my son's YZ, I realize that a lot has been learned in the past 12 years. The KDX has a lot of merit and is pretty good at a lot of things, but there are bikes that do specific things worlds better than the KDX.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Heck, I bought my WER, 2nd hand for $120 & it included the brackets for mounting. The unit was also, just rebuilt. It does make a big difference, maybe not as big as the scotts, I don't know, but it works very well compared to riding naked :lol:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Can't beat that deal. I would think any damper is a lot better than none, and there are plenty of riders that like the WER.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:I have a Scotts and really like it. It's really a lot of money though, and it's impossible for me to say that it would be worth it for you.

If you're riding in 5th gear over roots and rocks, that puts you at 60 mph. A crash at that speed into an object can be bad. You could be hurt or even seriously killed.

I broke two ribs a while back before I had the damper. I was in 4th and I got deflected by a sunken boulder into a car-sized rock next to the trail. I was very lucky, and got the damper shortly after that. Since then, I've hit similar ob-stackles (sic.), but the bike either just absorbs the impact and soaks it up with the suspension, or the whole bike moves over a few inches but stays straight. That is the key point, the deflections are what can cause the big problems. I still crash, but quite a bit less, and the bike feels much more stable at all speeds, but at higher speeds especially. In sand and deep loose gravel I noticed a huge improvement too.

Another nice benefit is I hold the bars with less of a grip. I noticed my arms were nowhere near as tired after a days ride immediatley after I put it on.

My son is 15 and rides motocross. He rides my bike occasionally and overall he hates it. Compared to his YZ, it's way too heavy, underpowered, too soft, and feels weird to him. He loves the steering damper though, and would like one on his bike. I haven't seen too many MX guys with them, but most Enduro and Desert racers have them.

As for your questions, No the on and off road dampers are not the same, but Krazy told you that, I have heard that Scotts can convert the damping action . The mounts are different for each bike, and there are different options on where you mount it. Getting a used one may be a good deal, be aware that if it was mounted improperly it can be damaged internally so it doesn't work. You have to be careful that the damper doesn't act like a steering stop. That'll break it. If you buy new, you know what you have, and I have yet to see a really good deal on a used one, but I don't look much anymore. I think if I got a screaming deal on a used one I would send it off to Scotts to get rebuilt. The guys at Scotts know their product really well, and have given me very good customer service.

One other note. If you are really flying around at 60 a lot of the time, You may be on the wrong bike. Before you spend a ton more on the KDX, you might want to hop on a modern YZ 250 or similar and see what you think. When I ride my son's YZ, I realize that a lot has been learned in the past 12 years. The KDX has a lot of merit and is pretty good at a lot of things, but there are bikes that do specific things worlds better than the KDX.
when i race i am in 5th or 6th i would say about a little under half of the race track, The track is like a bit oval with 2 large straights. I would say the straights add up to about .4miles. They arent perfectly straight either, they have roots and slight turns which are challenging at high speeds. When i ride in 6th i am no more than 1/2 throttle. Like you said, it is just to fast. Could i do it? yes, but at the end of each straight are some pretty big tree's. I have fallen at some high speeds and it dont feel good. Luckily i havent hurnt myself. Most of the track is dirt but the starting line is sand as well as another area. And there is one 30 foot section of thick mud. Not to thin so it is pretty easy to get through. I usally am in second gear.

I feel my suspension is tuned well for my weight and for my riding style. My rear spring my be a tad above my weight as it is meant for a 150 pound rider and i am about 145 with my gear. It does have a tendency to bounce a bit after small woops which is where i get into the most troble riding. I really need to try to dial it in better. My front i have found works best when my tire has enough air in it when i can push it down about 1/2 an inch when pressing firmly with my thumb.

The last 5 races i have done have been very close in time, they are: 2:07
2:09 2:09 2:07 and 2:08 mintues. They are very close together and 2:07 is my personall best. Last year before i did my top end, installed my fmf, and my VF2 reed cage and my kx forks my best time was a 2:24. My improved times show how much a few mods can make a difference. Unfortunately i cant find a way to beat my friend on his quad. He has a time of 2:00 mintes flat.

There are a few rocks and roots i can move to help me get a better time but im not sure how much better.

With my time staying fairly constant i did think that my kdx was at its best. It seems like that time is what my best will be. Like you said i should be beating quads left and right and i cant do it.

I personally dont think i am a bad rider. I think i am pretty good but i just cant beat him. I can beat him on the straights but in the turns and mud he comes out ahead. I would say i probably go closer to 50mph than 60mph on the straights. It is too tight to go faster.

I am really comfortable on this bike and i felt the past few days like i was really "controlling" the bike instead of just riding a beast.

Like mike said, the one thing i need help with is my grip. I have just noticed it this past week. My arms get very sore when im racing. It's not because of fact i grip the bars to tight but because of the fact at 50mph when i hit roots, if i am not holding on tight i will be off the bike into a tree. So i am really hoping a dampener will help with that.

I guess i will stick to a new one when i get $400. I know it is a big investment but if i do end up another bike i can always use it on that one too.

The bike seems like a perfect size for me but i just cant get a better time. Instead of selling the bike i want to try to make it better because i dont think i am using the bikes full potential, or maybe i am??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

90% rider 10% bike. Remember that. :wink:

Carmichael could beat you or me on a 50...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Indeed.....Good thing your keeping track of your times. The clock doesn't lie, and isa good guage. The damper will help, but overall technique is what's going to get you faster. BTW, corner speed wins any race that has a turn in it. If in a flat, oval style tuen you aren't crossed up, and countersteering (getting sideways) you aren't going fast enough. :supz:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Next time you go riding... just practice the corners. It sounds like that's where you need work.

If you want to see technique.... watch some race footage and watch how they do it. You won't be able to do as fast as them but it's the technique that's important and before you know it.... you will be kicking Quad @ss!

If you have a problem leaning into the corners, turn your bike away from the corner slightly (keeping your body straight) just before you hit the corner... this will throw your bike into the corner. Do this at low speed until you get the hang of it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Like mike said, the one thing i need help with is my grip. I have just noticed it this past week. My arms get very sore when im racing. It's not because of fact i grip the bars to tight but because of the fact at 50mph when i hit roots, if i am not holding on tight i will be off the bike into a tree. So i am really hoping a dampener will help with that.
with the OEM forks at 50 mph hitting roots the damper helps but the fork flex still is an point of weakness.

I road a 03 KX 125 for lap or two on the track with out a stabilizer and thought something came loose or was broken the way the front end flopped around.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

>|<>QBB<
krazyinski wrote:
with the OEM forks at 50 mph hitting roots the damper helps but the fork flex still is an point of weakness.

I road a 03 KX 125 for lap or two on the track with out a stabilizer and thought something came loose or was broken the way the front end flopped around.
i have kx forks on my bike. :wink:

anyway i will try to practice my cornering. Thanks for the advice. One more thing. if my back end keeps coming up what should i do to adjust the rear shock?? thanks
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes.... set the sag first. Then adjust your compression and rebound.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****