'99 220: Possibility?

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

'99 220: Possibility?

Post by Jeb »

'Wanted to run some pics by you guys of a '99 kdx220. Looks clean but the price seems a little high. Any comments about the year, price, and apparent condition? 'Hard to tell, but I think it's got a gnarly pipe - my understanding from this forum (and I have been reading voraciously) is that a gnarly may not be the best choice for the 220 since it's got a decent low end (right?). Not very much written detail, but like I said it looks good (decent graphics too).

The place is only an hour away so it's probably worth a look. Any suggestions on a good price to offer?

Thanks ahead of time, you guys are great!!

http://racersedge411.com/
scroll down to the picture.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

"gnarly pipe" is it a REV or Torque???
The Rev is what wakes the 220 up.

From the owners description:
"very clean bike .... starts runs and rides great .... headlight for night riding .... FMF fatty Chrome Pipe and silencer .... hand guards and fender bag make this a great go anywhere bike ..... priced out the door ... "

It's a clean looking bike. $2k, possibly
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:"gnarly pipe" is it a REV or Torque???
The Rev is what wakes the 220 up.
I thought the gnarly pipe was a torque pipe! Is the gnarly desert the same as the rev pipe?

Whatever the case, I'll call and ask 'em what's on it.

No issues with a '99 220 ?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

That is a very clean looking bike for a '99. I would say that $2k is a good price, because of the condition. That looks almost as nice as my '06, except for the pipe dents, which are small. Go for it! And yes, the gnarly rev pipe is the same thing as the gnarly desert pipe.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

As far as KDX's go...'99 is no different than an '06 other than the "BNG". Technology is the same.

That bike looks extreemely clean from the photo's. Most noticably the frame. Either it's been re-painted, or it's seen little use. More than likely the former being that it's a '99.

Is $2000 a good price for a used KDX? Well, it's been said before...a bike is worth whatever someone will pay for it. Sellers who are anxious to sell tend sell for less. Buyers who are anxious to buy tend to pay more. Is $2000 unreasonable for a good quaility, well maintained dirt bike with aftermarket goodies...No. Could you find one for less...probably. Would this seller take less...probably.

Sorry, that probably didn't help much.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

It boils down to what YOU are happy with, about the price. Play the game,have
$1600 in one pocket and another $400 in your back pocket. Start there and work
up, but only if YOU want to.

Just don"t shoot the bike, if YOU pull the trigger. :grin:
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

$2000 is a pretty dang lot of money for that bike unless you live in richville. Even though it is in nice shape $2000 is alot for any 7 year old bike.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

It looks to dealer prepped I wood say 1200-1500 tops there are better deals to be had. besides the pipe is there any records of other work done on the bike? all the shiny plastic and tires with a missing OEM head light would make me think they are hiding something.
the frame is to clean I would think this bike could be freshly rebuilt or a painted and powdered up dog. ask for some detailed history. its hard to ride with out scratching the frame. for 2800 you can get a 03-04 KDX. these are great bikes but the resale value sucks the only true value is possessed by the owner. my bike is worth 6 grand to me, and 1800 to the open market.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.