Master cylinder screw size?

Got questions? We got answers....
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I don't have the KDX in front of me to check, does anyone know the size of the master cylinder screws that hold on the reservoir cap? I want to flush my brake fluid again and the last time I had to dremel in a slot into the screws because the phillips stripped out, so I would like to replace them this time around.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

I believe they are M4 threads, but not sure about the length. Dab a little anti-sieze on them when you replace them.
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Thanks, I seem to recall them being pretty short, maybe 3-4mm.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

If I remeber correctly, kelasaki is correct...M4. I had the same problem but ended up having to drill one of them out. I went to ACE Hardware and got allen head SS screws to replace them...I took the old one with me to compare length and size.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

For the search archives:
front brake master cylinder cap screw size M4 X .7mm X 12mm long countersunk machine screws
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Popbumper

Post by Popbumper »

I know this thread is old but . . . Just a quick word of thanks for this thread - and others related to what to do with seized master cylinder screws. You guys offer great advice and without it, I would have never fallen BACK in love with riding and restoring KDX's! This information is always relevant! :supz:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Master cylinder screw size?

Post by 6 Riders »

One more add to an old thread;
When removing these screws, after a longtime wait, use an impact driver. The type that you hit with a hammer to make it turn. This will crack these nasty little screws loose w/o a problem. Don't "BTSOI" it will just need enough "hammer force" to get the driver to turn a little bit. Replace the screws as necessary w/whatever type you prefer and keep a couple in your "parts bin".
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type